Our Upcoming Events
In December of 2016, the Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association coordinated with OPD and BART PD to promote holiday safety with the BART Escort Program.
Every block is organized, and every neighbor is skilled, networked, and empowered to work together and in partnership with the City and outside agencies to solve problems and build a healthy, resilient community.
Contacts and Meetings
Every police beat in Oakland has a Neighborhood Council ("Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council," or NCPC) that holds scheduled meetings to discuss issues of concern to the neighborhood.
- Click to download the Neighborhood Services Beat & Program Assignment contact sheet.
- The 2017 meeting schedule is accessible here.
Other Events / Connections
- Click here to be redirected to the Oakland Police Department website
- Click here to be redirected to the Earth Day website
- Click here to be redirected to the Communities of Oakland Respond to Emergencies (CORE) website
Holiday Safety Tips - The holidays are wonderful, but they are also a time to be extra cautious.
Lunar New Year Safety Tips
Robbery Prevention Tips
Safety Tips: Avoid Being a Robbery Victim is a handy flyer with many personal safety tips. Print out your own copy and use it! This flyer is also available in Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese:
- Safety Tips: Avoid Being a Robbery Victim - Chinese
- Consejos de Seguridad---¡Evite ser víctima de un asalto!
- Personal Safety Tips: Avoid Being a Robbery Victim - Vietnamese
Personal Safety Brochure
Personal Safety: Do You Have a Plan? is a handy brochure with many personal safety tips. Print out your own copy and use it! This brochure is also available in Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese:
- Personal Safety: Do You Have a Plan? - Chinese
- Seguridad Personal - Tiene un plan?
- Personal Safety: Do You Have a Plan? - Vietnamese
Safety Tips at Home and on the Road: Learn about Locks, Landscaping, Lighting, and more.
Home Security Survey: This checklist gives an indication of the security of your home. Every ‘no’ checked shows a weak point that may help a burglar gain access to your home. To improve your security, attempt to eliminate the boxes checked ‘no.’ Go through the list systematically. Remember this checklist only points out your weak areas. Complying with these guidelines will not make your home burglar proof, but it will improve your protection. Download the Home Security Survey.
Surveillance Systems Toolkit
Surveillance systems play a vital role in preventing the same crime from happening again and assisting police in the apprehension of suspects. This toolkit was developed as a guide for those interested in learning about and installing surveillance systems.
Block, Neighborhood, Citywide Approach
Our programs foster resident and merchant participation at four levels: at the block level, at the neighborhood level, at the citywide level, and at the specialized training level.
Crime Prevention Education
The Neighborhood Services Division provides presentations to the community or to businesses on many safety related topics. Presentations can be chosen from the list below. In addition, presentations can be individually designed for specific audiences that combine topics or address specific concerns and issues.
Businesses, schools, groups and organizations can request special presentations on personal safety and other topics of concern.
For more information, contact Marlon Guzman at (510) 238-4523 or MGuzman3@oaklandnet.com.
Citizens’ Police Academy and Alumni Association
This 14-week program held twice a year provides community members with an overview of OPD functions and a forum for police-citizen dialogue. Graduates of the Citizens’ Police Academy continue their association with OPD through the Citizens’ Police Alumni Association where they participate in special projects such as Officer Appreciation Day and fundraising for department needs.
Volunteers in Policing
This program recruits and places residents in volunteer positions within the OPD.
For information about volunteer programs contact Brenda Ivey at (510) 238-3091 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Resources for Volunteer Groups
- National Crime Prevention Council
- The Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS)
- California Crime Prevention Officer's Association
- National Neighborhood Watch Institute
- Citizen Corps Neighborhood Watch Program
- National Night Out