Our Upcoming Events
ShakeOut to Celebrate ADA
The City of Oakland and its partners will host an event marking the Great California Shakeout and honoring the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Thursday, October 15, 2015
9am to 2pm
Frank H. Ogawa Plaza in front of historic Oakland City Hall at 14th St. and Broadway
- Join the Drop-Cover-Hold On & Lock-Cover-Hold On Flash Mob at 10:15
- Interactive Demonstrations
- Fire truck and emergency equipment displays
- Earthquake Preparedness information and displays
- The Big Shaker Earthquake Simulator
The Speaker Program at 9:30 a.m.
- Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf
- Oakland Fire Deputy Chief Darin White
- Robert Fenton, Jr., Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Region IX
- Mark Ghilarducci, Director, Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (CalOES)
- Vance Taylor, Chief, CalOES Office of Access and Functional Needs
- Erica Jones, Director, Pacific ADA Center
- Stuart James, Executive Director, Center for Independent Living
Hear a special tribute to the late Richard Devylder, a disability rights activist who touched so many lives while serving as Chief of the Office for Access and Functional Needs at CalOES.
For those unable to attend the event in person, click here to watch a live stream of the event courtesy of our partners at CalOES.
Sign up for free CORE emergency preparedness training classes offered by the Oakland Fire Department at
Emergency Management Tools for Serving Persons with Access and Functional Needs: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/PWA/o/EC/s/ADA/s/emrfn/index.htm
“Oakland California's Journey from Emergency Management Defendant to Model City for Inclusionary Practices”: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/pwa/documents/marketingmaterial/oak047131.pdf
10 Things You Should Know about Emergency Preparedness: https://www.disability.gov/disability-connection-newsletter-september-2015/
Access & Functional Needs Shakeout Video Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtKMzVhHUds
Interview with Vance Taylor, Chief of the Cal OES Office of Access and Functional Needs, on Access and Functional Needs in a Disaster - What You Need to Know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHLNn5xU1G8