- Animal Services
- Budget Office
- Citizens' Police Review Board
- Cannabis Regulatory Commission
- Community Policing Advisory Board
- Contracts and Compliance
- Cultural Arts & Marketing
- Economic & Workforce Development
- Employee Relations
- KTOP TV-10
- Measure Y
- Neighborhood Investment
- Nuisance Abatement
- Public Ethics Commission
- Real Estate
- Special Permits
- Workforce Development
Our Upcoming Events
Bicycle parking is critical because many people’s decision to bicycle is affected by security concerns for their property. The bicycle is a viable means of transportation when physical accommodations ensure that people’s trips are safe and convenient and that their property is secure. Every bicycle trip includes the route of travel and the facilities at the destination.
Other facilities—bike stations, restrooms, showers, and storage lockers—are great incentives for people with longer commutes who can turn their ride into a daily workout and still dress for the office. These facilities may be required by Oakland’s Bicycle Parking Ordinance as part of new developments and major remodels.
- Request a rack on city-owned property
- Get information about in-street bike parking corrals
- Learn about secure parking options in Oakland: Bike Stations and eLockers
- Learn about Oakland's Bicycle Parking Ordinance
- Find resources for private property owners
- Completed Bicycle Parking
- Oakland Bicycle Facility Design Guidelines
- Report Abandoned Bikes
- Bicycle parking Do’s and Don’ts
CityRacks Bicycle Parking Program
Anyone can request a free rack to be placed on City-owned property. Please use the Online Request Form OR contact the Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Coordinator (no need to do both):
- Phone: (510) 238-3983
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bicycle Rack Process & Requirements
- Once a request is received, City staff inspects the proposed location, evaluating the site based on the placement guidelines on page 6 of the Oakland Bicycle Parking Rack Guidelines. These guidelines include leaving adequate clearance for pedestrian right-of-way, distance from fire hydrants, etc.
- If rack installation is feasible, staff notifies the business owner of the proposed installation and allows two weeks for comment.
- Once a site is approved, a work order is created (typically including 10 or more other locations). Rack installation is scheduled based on the work load and priorities of Public Works field staff.
- Learn about in-street bicycle parking corrals, including downloading the required application/agreement form.
- The entire process can take anywhere from 3 weeks to a year (or more).
As of January 2014, the CityRacks program is funded by a Transportation Fund for Clean Air grant from the Alameda County Transportation Commission and the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.
For information about installing your own bike racks, see Bicycle parking resources for private and public developers.
Bicycle Parking Ordinance
Safe and convenient bicycle parking is essential to making cycling a good transportation option. On July 15, 2008, the Oakland City Council adopted an ordinance that requires bicycle parking in certain types of development.
The ordinance indicates how bicycle racks, lockers, cages and showers will be included in future development. The ordinance also requires bicycle parking attendants at public events with more than 5,000 participants.
For more information: Download .pdfs.
- Bicycle Parking Ordinance Overview
- Oakland Planning Code
- Bicycle Parking Ordinance (Chapter 17.117 of the Oakland Planning Code, stand-alone document)
- Staff report with recommendations/rationale
- Event Bike Parking Requirements, Guidelines and Resources
Bicycle Parking Resources for Private and Public Developers
The City of Oakland encourages both private and public developers to provide bicycle parking facilities to supplement the City's grant-funded efforts.
- To install racks on public property: Private property owners must apply for a minor encroachment permit. The total cost including application and other fees is $123.94 (information last updated November 2011). Download information packet.
- To install racks on private property: A permit may be required, depending on the type of installation. Contact the Oakland Permit Center for more information
- Download list of bicycle parking rack and locker vendors
Oakland’s Bicycle Parking Rack Guidelines can help developers and property owners manage available space efficiently and select user-friendly rack designs to ensure a high quality installation. When property owners install bicycle racks in the public right-of-way, they can select any rack type that conforms to the City’s design guidelines.
For resources, technical assistance with rack specifications and placement, or with any other questions, please contact the Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Program at (510) 238-3983 or email@example.com.