Oakland in the News
Our Upcoming Events
Incorporated in 1852, Oakland is the eighth largest city in California, with a population of about 410,000 and a wealth of resources and opportunities. Located on the east side of the San Francisco Bay, Oakland is bordered by 19 miles of coastline to the west and rolling hills to the east, which provide unparalled vistas of the Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
Oakland is one of the nation’s most diverse cities, with a rich cultural and architectural history and stunning natural beauty. Click here for a profile of Oakland’s vibrant neighborhoods, including:
- Downtown — City Center, Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Uptown, Chinatown, Jack London Square, Old Oakland, Lake Merritt District and Broadway Auto Row)
- North and South Hills — Montclair Village
- San Antonio, Fruitvale and Lower Hills — Laurel, Fruitvale, EastLake, Dimond, Lakeshore/Grand, Glenview and East 18th/Parkway
- East Oakland — International Boulevard, MacArthur Boulevard, Eastmont Town Center, Havenscourt, Seminary/Foothill/Bancroft, Hegenberger/Coliseum Corridor, Millsmont
- North Oakland — Rockridge, Piedmont Avenue, Golden Gate, Temescal
- West Oakland — Jack London Gateway Shopping Center, Oakland Army Base, Village Bottoms Cultural Center
When the current Oakland City Hall opened in 1914, it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi. Click here to view a brochure on historic Oakland City Hall.