- ADA Inclusion Center
- Adult Sports & Enrichment
- Community Gardening
- Cultural Arts Programs
- Discovery Centers
- Dog Play Areas
- Joaquin Miller Park
- Lake Merritt
- Oakland City Stables
- Recreation Centers and Facilities
- Rental Facilities
- Rotary Nature Center
- Sponsors & Partners
- Youth Sports
Our Upcoming Events
Pool Rules and Regulations
For all patrons' safety, patrons are expected to follow all established pool rules and regulations. Warnings will be issued if violations occur - patrons endangering themselves or other users will be asked to leave this OPR facility. All patrons are encouraged to have a safe and fun experience. If any questions or concerns should arise - please contact lifeguards and/or pool management immediately! These rules are for your safety and the safety of others. SAFETY FIRST!!
To view Pool Lap Swim Etiquette, click here.
- All patrons entering the facility during drop in fee swim programs are required to pay the facility admission, including swimmers, non-swimmers, and spectators.
- Children who do not meet the height requirement must be ACCOMPANIED and SUPERVISED in the water, within arm's reach, at all times by a responsible individual 14 years or older.
- Temescal and Lions Pools 54"
- All other OPR Pools 48"
- Please WALK at all times - NO RUNNING!
- Horseplay, dunking, shoulder rides, fighting, or any other activity that could be harmful to yourself or others are not allowed.
- All pool users and patrons must wear appropriate swim attire. No cut-offs, leotards, underwear or T-Shirts are allowed in a swimming pool. (CA. Health Code #65541)
- Babies or toddlers will not be allowed in the pool without appropriate swim diaper. No disposable or cloth diapers are allowed. (CA. Health Code #65541)
- Please take a shower prior to pool use. (CA. Health Code #65541)
- Report any known health conditions or disability to pool management prior to entering water.
- Please be aware of changing depth of water - stay in depth of water that is appropriate to your swimming ability. If you are responsible for another individual, be aware of their swimming ability and/or limitations.
- Flips, cannonballs, helicopter or jack knives from edge of pool are not allowed. NO DIVING IN SHALLOW WATER.
- Glass containers, food, drinks, or smoking are not allowed in any area of the pool facility.
- Animals are not allowed in the building or pool area, with the exception of guide dogs and service dogs. Guide dogs and service dogs are allowed on deck, but not in the water.
- Patrons who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or narcotics will be denied admission.
- Spitting, spouting or nose-blowing in the pool is strictly prohibited.
- In order to swim in the deep end, a swim test of 4 widths of a pool and 1 minute of treading is administered. A patron must take a swim test during all recreational swim times.
- Admission refunds are not given due to unforeseen circumstances such as pool evacuations or emergencies.
- Private lessons may not be given by non-OPR Aquatics staff without written authorization from Aquatics Management.
- Photography and filming are prohibited at all times unless pre-authorized by Aquatics Management.
- Prolonged breath holding and underwater swimming have proven to be a deadly activity and is strongly discouraged.
Pool rules vary according to facility and are not limited to those listed above.
Lifeguards will ensure safety and provide direction as needed to prevent injuries or accidents. Poor sportsmanship, misconduct, or blatant disregard of the established posted rules may be suspended from the facility under the Behavior Management Policy. Pool rules and regulations are posted at each pool site and are available in multiple language translations.
Pool Use Reminders
The Aquatics Unit does not take responsibility for lost or stolen articles. Refrain from bringing any valuables to the pool (money, jewelry...). If you should have any problems, please report them immediately to aquatics staff.