- ADA Inclusion Center
- Adult Sports & Enrichment
- Community Gardening
- Cultural Arts Programs
- Discovery Centers
- Dog Play Areas
- Joaquin Miller Park
- Lake Merritt
- Oakland City Stables
- Recreation Centers and Facilities
- Rental Facilities
- Rotary Nature Center
- Sponsors & Partners
- Youth Sports
Our Upcoming Events
Lap Swim Etiquette
To view Pool Rules and Regulations, click here.
Lap Swim Etiquette
BEFORE ENTERING ANY LANE, ALERT ALL PERSONS ALREADY SWIMMING.
TRY TO FIND A LANE THAT FITS YOUR SPEED
- If swimmers pass you, or you are passing swimmers, please move to a lane that best fits your pace.
- Please utilize the designated areas for aqua walking and jogging.
- Lifeguards may move swimmers into appropriate lanes, if necessary.
- Do not assume you can use the same lane every visit.
- Please circle swim in a counter-clockwise direction at all times. Stay to the right of the black line at the bottom of the pool. Be aware of swimmers around you.
- Passing is only permitted at the end of the lane.
- Tap the toes of the swimmers in front of you just before he/she reaches the wall.
- If you are tapped on the toes, please stop at the wall and let the swimmer pass.
- Many swimming styles have a 4 to 5 foot wide kick or arm stroke which can be dangerous to others in your lane and adjacent lanes, please be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Pull buoys and kickboards are available for your use only during lap swim hours.
- You may bring your own equipment including fins, goggles, and snorkel.
- Please ask the lifeguard if you have questions about other equipment.
- Please be courteous, understanding, and flexible with other swimmers.
- Please cooperate with the lifeguard's directions or requests.
YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL POOL RULES
- NO diving during lap swim hours.
- NO shouting, screaming, or abusive language toward another swimmer or lifeguard.
- NO physical contact with another swimmer other than a tap on the toe to pass.
- ANY INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EJECTION FROM THE FACILITY.
PROBLEMS AND CONCERNS
- If you have problems communicating with another lap swimmer, please ask the lifeguard for assistance.
- Please let us know of any problems, concerns or suggestions you may have to help us improve this program.
- Please notify the front desk staff and lifeguard if you need any assistance. We want to accommodate everyone to the best of our ability.