- Community Development (CDBG)
- Development of Affordable Housing
- Finding Affordable Housing
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Homebuyer Assistance
- Housing Assistance Center
- Housing Policy, Planning and Research
- Housing Repair & Rehab Programs
- Housing Services & Counseling
- Landlord Resources
- Loans & Grants for Housing
- Renter Resources
- Useful Links/Other Resources
Our Upcoming Events
Rent Program Service Fee Information
You may have received a notice in the mail regarding a Rent Program Service Fee.
- What this is: Each year landlords are required to pay a fee, currently $30, for each rental unit they own that is covered by the Rent Adjustment Ordinance or the Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance (Measure EE).
- Who has to pay this fee: Owners of covered residential rental unts (landlords) in Oakland. You do not have to pay this fee on a rental unit you live in, if it is your primary place of residence. Additionally, some units are exempt from the fee. See the exemptions list and information in the notice. If the fee is paid on time, property owners are entitled to collect 1/2 of the fee ($15.00) from the tenant(s) of the rental unit for which the fee is paid. This amount is not rent and cannot be included when calculating a rent increase.
- Why: This fee is used to cover the costs of operating the City of Oakland's Rent Adjustment Program (formerly Residential Rent Arbitration) and implementation of the Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance (Measure EE).
o 2005 and later: January 1 of each year. Delinquent after March 1.
o 2004 and earlier: March 1 of each year. Delinquent after May 1.
- Laws: Oakland Municipal Code Section 8.22.500 | PDF
- Rental Fee Forms
- Download MS Excel file to see amount owed for past due fees (as of today's date).
Questions: If you have any questions about this fee, or about the exemptions listed, please contact us by e-mail, or call the Rent Adjustment Program at 238-3709.