- Community Development (CDBG)
- Development of Affordable Housing
- Finding Affordable Housing
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Homebuyer Assistance
- Housing Assistance Center
- Housing Policy, Planning and Research
- Housing Repair & Rehab Programs
- Housing Services & Counseling
- Landlord Resources
- Loans & Grants for Housing
- Renter Resources
- Useful Links/Other Resources
Our Upcoming Events
Several local organizations provide counseling to individuals and families looking to purchase a home in Oakland and the Bay Area, or for individuals and families who may have received a notice of default or a foreclosure notice.
- Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley - Provides pre-purchase housing counseling. Counseling includes homeownership pre-qualification, credit repair, debt reduction, and budget counseling - Contact Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley
- Money Management International - Provides counseling and assistance to homeowners with mortgage default and delinquency situations, and counseling services for persons interested in low and moderate-income homeownership opportunities. Contact Money Management International.
- NACA (Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America) - is a non-profit community advocacy and housing services organization. Free services include purchase, purchase and renovation, or refinancing out of a high-rate loan. Contact NACA
- NID Housing Counseling Agency - Provides housing counseling solutions including pre-purchase counseling and education, rental assistance counseling and mobility counseling, delinquency/default counseling, reverse mortgage counseling, post-purchase counseling, predatory lending counseling, and community development counseling. Contact NID
- Operation HOPE - is a national non-profit self-help organization and a leading provider of economic empowerment tools and services for the under-served. The mission of Operation HOPE is the eradication of poverty as we know it in America by utilizing education as the ultimate poverty eradication tool. Contact Operation HOPE
- Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA) - is a legal services and advocacy nonprofit organization that promotes affordable and fair credit access, asset building and preservation. HERA helps homeowners fight abusive mortgage servicing and address problems with homeowner associations, foreclosure, escrow and other homeowner problems. In addition, HERA provides assistance applying for loan modifications, advocacy for homeowners to save their homes from foreclosure, counseling regarding predatory lending, credit/debt concerns and household financial management. Contact HERA.
- For additional resources, see HUD's Office of Housing Counseling.
TIP: When buying a home, protect yourself against excessive fees, high interest rates and other predatory lending tactics. More about Predatory Lending.