- Community Development (CDBG)
- Development of Affordable Housing
- Finding Affordable Housing
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Homebuyer Assistance
- Housing Assistance Center
- Housing Policy, Planning and Research
- Housing Repair & Rehab Programs
- Housing Services & Counseling
- Landlord Resources
- Loans & Grants for Housing
- Renter Resources
- Useful Links/Other Resources
Our Upcoming Events
Several local organizations provide counseling to individuals and families looking to purchase a home in Oakland and the Bay Area, or for individuals and families who may have received a notice of default or a foreclosure notice.
East Bay Neighborhood Housing Services - Provides pre-purchase homeownership workshops, mortgage delinquency and default resolution, rental housing counseling, credit counseling, and post-purchase counseling. -
- Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley - Provides pre-purchase housing counseling. Counseling includes loan pre-qualification, credit repair, debt reduction, and budget counseling - Contact Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley
- Money Management International - Provides budget, credit and financial education; pre-purchase housing counseling; and mortgage delinquency and default counseling. Contact Money Management International.
- NACA (Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America) - is a non-profit community advocacy and housing services organization. Free services include assistance with mortgage loans, purchase and renovation loans, or loans to refinancing out of a high-rate loan. Contact NACA
- NID Housing Counseling Agency - Provides housing counseling solutions including pre-purchase counseling, financial literacy, rental assistance counseling and mobility counseling, delinquency/default counseling, reverse mortgage counseling, post-purchase counseling, predatory lending counseling, and community development counseling. Contact NID
- Operation HOPE - is a national non-profit self-help organization and a leading provider of economic empowerment tools and services for the under-served. The mission of Operation HOPE is the eradication of poverty as we know it in America by utilizing education as the ultimate poverty eradication tool. Operation HOPE’s housing counseling program helps clients overcome a variety of barriers to homeownership, including bad credit, lack of down payment, existing debt, and money management issues. Contact Operation HOPE
- Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA) - is a legal services and advocacy nonprofit organization that promotes affordable and fair credit access, asset building and preservation. HERA helps homeowners fight abusive mortgage servicing and address problems with homeowner associations, foreclosure, escrow and other homeowner problems. In addition, HERA provides assistance applying for loan modifications, advocacy for homeowners to save their homes from foreclosure, counseling regarding predatory lending, credit/debt concerns and household financial management. Contact HERA.
- For additional resources, call HUD (800) 569-4247 or visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's Find a Housing Counselor webpage.
TIP: When shopping for a loan, protect yourself against excessive fees, high interest rates and other predatory lending tactics. Visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's Owning a Home webpage for tools and resources to help you make an informed decision.