- Community Development (CDBG)
- Development of Affordable Housing
- Finding Affordable Housing
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Homebuyer Assistance
- Housing Assistance Center
- Housing Policy, Planning and Research
- Housing Repair & Rehab Programs
- Housing Services & Counseling
- Landlord Resources
- Loans & Grants for Housing
- Renter Resources
- Useful Links/Other Resources
Our Upcoming Events
Development of Affordable Housing
The City of Oakland is committed to providing affordable housing for its residents. Since 1988, we have funded the development of over 6000 units of housing. The City has many funding programs that work with non-profit developers to increase the number of affordable housing units. For more information contact the Housing and Community Development Department.
Housing Development Loans and Grants
The City provides financing to developers to increase and preserve affordable housing in Oakland. These funds are available from the federal government's HOME program and other local funding sources.
Affordable Housing New Construction Loan Program
Funds are allocated annually in a competitive process through a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA). The NOFA is typically published in September, applications are due in November, and funding commitments are approved by the City Council in February or March. This allows developers to use our funds to leverage other affordable-housing funds, such as the low-income housing tax credit. Learn more about the New Construction Loan Program.
This program provides loans to owners of existing multifamily affordable rental housing to prevent or address health and safety conditions.
This program provides loans to developers to cover the costs related to acquisition, rehabilitation and preservation of affordable rental housing.
Predevelopment Loan Program
The Predevelopment Loan Program provides loans to non-profit housing developers to cover pre-development costs (feasibility analysis and preparation of loan applications) and to cover costs of preparing projects for syndication. Learn more about the Predevelopment Loan Program.
Developer and Project Requirements and Guidelines
The following documents contain criteria for assessing developer experience, competence, and capacity, and outline requirements for project development and management of new construction and substantial rehabilitation projects. These documents can be used as a reference to help developers and development teams understand what will be required in order to obtain City funding.
- Minimum Developer Qualifications, September 2014
- Program Description and Underwriting Requirements, September 2015
- Homeownership Development Program Requirements, September 2014
- Developer Fee Guidelines, September 2014
- Affirmative Fair Marketing Procedures, March 2012
- Oakland Resident and Worker Occupancy Preferences Procedures, August 2010
- Rent Limits, Income Limits and Utility Allowances (updated annually)
Affordable Housing Projects in Oakland
Click here for information about existing affordable housing and new projects that are underway.
Rent and Income Limits and Utility Allowances for Affordable Housing
Affordable Housing Developers
Click here, for a list of affordable housing developers in Oakland.
Planning and Building Permits
Click here for information about how to apply for planning and zoning approvals and how to obtain building permits.
Finding Development Sites
The following websites offer information about development sites in Oakland:
- Real Estate Services – On rare occasions, the City of Oakland Real Estate Services has small parcels of land for sale.
- 2002 Potential Affordable Housing Sites Survey - A survey of vacant and underutilized sites within the City, excluding the Downtown Area, was conducted from October 2002 to January 2003. The survey identified 559 potential affordable housing sites.