- Community Development (CDBG)
- Development of Affordable Housing
- Finding Affordable Housing
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Homebuyer Assistance
- Housing Assistance Center
- Housing Policy, Planning and Research
- Housing Repair & Rehab Programs
- Housing Services & Counseling
- Landlord Resources
- Loans & Grants for Housing
- Renter Resources
- Useful Links/Other Resources
Our Upcoming Events
Housing & Community Development
- City of Oakland Funded Affordable Housing Development in the News
- Solicitation of Partners for City of Oakland Foreclosure Recovery and Abandoned Properties Initiative
- Housing Assistance Center
- New Shared Appreciation Mortgage for Downpayment Assistance
- 2013 Rent and Income Limits
- Update to the City’s Substantial Amendment to its Consolidated Plan to Amend Plan for Use of NSP3 Funds
- Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) Request for Proposals (RFP) for FY 2013-15
- Update to Substantial Amendment to Consolidated Plan to Amend Plan for Use of CDBG-R (Recovery Act) Funds
- Help for Homeowners facing Foreclosure!
- Avoid the Pitfalls of Predatory Lending
Plans & Reports
Since 1988, the City of Oakland has funded the development of over 6,000 units of housing. We have many funding programs to work with non-profit developers to increase the number of affordable housing units in our city. Builders and developers can learn more by visiting our Development of Affordable Housing page. If you are looking for Affordable Housing, click here to visit our Finding Affordable Housing page.
Homebuyers and Homeowners
Whether you're a first-time homebuyer or a long-time homeowner, HCD has a variety of programs to help you buy and keep your home:
Rent Adjustment Program
The Rent Adjustment Program works to encourage open communication and to foster a climate of understanding between Oakland landlords and tenants by providing mediation services for cases involving rent increases and some evictions.
Tenants may file a petition to challenge a rent increase that they believe to be in violation of the Rent Adjustment Ordinance. Cases are initially presented to Hearing Officers, who make a decision after reviewing information from both the tenant and the landlord.
The Rent Adjustment Program also provides forms and processes applications for landlords who wish to go out of business consistent with the provisions of California's Ellis Act. Visit our Ellis Act Resources Page for more information.
Building Stronger Communities (CDBG)
The primary objective of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program is the development of viable urban communities, by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment, and expanding economic opportunities, principally for persons of low- and moderate-income.
Each year, the federal government distributes community development block grant funds to cities for their local community development projects. The City of Oakland distributes these funds through the CDBG program.
To learn about our application process and more, visit our CDBG Program page.
Housing Services & Counseling
City of Oakland affordable housing funds come from both local and federal sources. These funds are distributed through the programs listed below.
- Counseling - counseling for home buyers
- Discrimination/Fair Housing - services for Oakland residents who feel they have been subjected to discrimination as a home buyer, homeowner or tenant
- Disabled - counseling, housing search assistance, and referrals for disabled individuals
- Housing Assistance Center - Offers a streamlined one stop approach to the housing services and resources provided by the City of Oakland and numerous non-profit, and governmental agencies. HAC staff provide customized referrals based on the needs of Oakland residents and small rental property owners and managers.
- Predatory Lending - protect yourself against excessive fees, high interest rates and other abusive mortgage lending practices known as predatory lending
- Relocation - information and assistance to individuals and families who are being forced out of their places of residence due to safety violations, demolition, or government activities
- Rent Disputes - links to the Rent Adjustment Board for individuals needing assistance with rent disputes
- Seniors - housing services for senior citizens in Oakland.
Housing Policies, Plans, Reports & Data
The Housing Policy Section conducts studies, maintains data and statistics, provides information, advocates legislation, creates and ensures compliance with local, state and federal policies and procedures related to affordable housing in Oakland. To learn more click a link below or visit the Housing Policy, Planning and Research page.
|City Policies & Plans||Data & Statistics|
|Special Reports||Rent & Income Limits|