Our Upcoming Events
Storm Drain Maintenance
The Storm Drain Section maintains and repairs the storm drainage system in public areas and along City roadways. We routinely clean the drainage system and remove any obstacles blocking the flow of water. Storm drains flow directly to the Bay, and as important part of Oakland's watershed, it is important that nothing but rain water enters the storm drains.
Maintenance of Oakland’s Storm Drain system includes:
- Clean & inspect more than 7,500 storm inlets
- Clean & inspect five primary trash collection units (CDS)
- Service approximately 137 weirs (areas where natural water courses enter our storm drain infrastructure)
- Clean & inspect 402 miles of storm pipe
- Provide vegetation management of City creek areas
Do your part to prevent a flood!
Remember, never put leaves, grass clippings, oil or trash into the drainage system! And never dispose of those items in the street, because debris could be swept into the system by storm water. Such actions may result in serious flooding during a rain storm. See also:
- Volunteer to Adopt a Drain
- Storm Drainage Design Guidelines
- Landslides or erosion on private property (CEDA Building Services)
Report a Problem
The Report a Problem tool enables you to request a public works maintenance service. Please note that this website is for NON-EMERGENCY services only! For potential emergency situations, call the Public Works Call Center at (510) 615-5566.