Our Upcoming Events
There are over 37,000 street lights throughout Oakland's city streets. The primary purpose of urban street lighting is to produce safe and comfortable vision during the night on public streets and sidewalks. The benefits of such lighting include reduction of accidents, facilitation of traffic flow, promotion of nighttime operation of businesses and industries, enhanced neighborhoods and increased personal safety and security of the public.
We strive to provide timely response and to repair street lights within 15 days of receiving information that a street light is out.
To request a street light modification (add new, remove, increase or decrease street lighting), please contact the Public Works Call Center at (510) 615-5566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LED Conversion Project
- Total costs for materials and labor is $15M, with funding for the conversion project provided by the energy savings
- Number of Installation Crews: 2
- Total number of cobra-head street lights in Oakland: 30,333
- Total number converted as of March 14, 2014: 28,207 (93%)
- Manufacturer: General Electric
- Where LED are manufactured: North Carolina, USA
- Distributor: Graybar Inc.
- Contractor: Amland Corp.
- Sub-Contractor: Aeko Consulting
Street Light Design Manual
The Street Light Design Manual is written for developers, architects and engineers. It details the City of Oakland's street light requirements and approved poles and luminaires.