Our Upcoming Events
Team Oakland is a City-sponsored summer employment program for Oakland youth between the ages of 15 and 24 that focuses on litter and graffiti abatement, waste reduction, and environmental education. Developed in 1993, Team Oakland is administered by the City of Oakland Public Works Agency through an agreement with local employment organizations.
Team Oakland participants gain practical job training experience through meaningful city beautification and cleanup projects. Participants learn how blight such as litter, illegal dumping, and graffiti are major indicators of a community’s health, and how removal of blight improves the local quality of life. Participants are trained to assess blighted conditions and gain experience in beautifying streets, parks and other public spaces. Participants distribute outreach material to merchants and are encouraged to communicate their knowledge to friends, neighbors and local businesses.
Team Oakland 2013
- Collected 3,678 bags-worth of trash from streets and sidewalks. This equates to about 20 full garbage trucks.
- Removed about 1,000 bags-worth of green waste, which will be made into compost.
- Painted over graffiti on light poles and litter containers along 34 city blocks, including portions of Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Market Street, 40th Street, W. MacArthur Boulevard, and International Boulebard.
- Produced a 30-second public service announcement to discourage litter and graffiti.
- Conducted waste disposal outreach to businesses throughout Oakland.
- Participated in over 100 hours of training in environmental education and job skills.
- Farmer Joe’s Market
- Gateway Bank
- General Auto Parts
- La Estrellita Mexican Restaurant
- City of Oakland Fire Departments #3, #4, #5, and #20
- Rainbow Recreation Center
- Seminary Market
- St. Vincent de Paul
For more information about the Team Oakland program, please contact Mike Perlmutter of the City of Oakland Public Works Agency, Environmental Services Division, at (510) 238-7294 or email@example.com.