Our Upcoming Events
- The Street Sweeping program is responsible for keeping all major thoroughfares and arterials clean of trash and debris. Regular street sweeping not only keeps City streets cleaner and safer, but it helps reduce the amount of trash that enters our storm drain system, which flows into the San Francisco Bay.
- Major arterials and commercial areas are swept at night and residential areas are swept during the day. Notification is posted by official signage with restricted times on each block so that vehicles will be moved accordingly. Enforcement of the controlled area is handled by Finance and Management Parking Enforcement.
- Keeping our neighborhood streets clean is one of the tasks of the City of Oakland Public Works Department.
Oakland Leaf Season Policies
The fall and winter leaf season (September through February) presents special difficulties and challenges. Tree-lined streets are literally inundated with leaves for several months. During the leaf season, Keep Oakland Clean & Beautiful would like your help and cooperation. Here is how you can assist us in keeping your street clean:
- Do not place leaves or other debris into the street or gutters. The street sweeper cannot pick it up. [Oakland Municipal Code §8.38.030] The sweepers are not designed to pick up large piles of leaves.
- Do not sweep leaves from your front yard, sidewalk or planter strip onto the street. Oakland Municipal Code §13.16.100 states, in part: “Sweepings from said sidewalk shall not be swept or otherwise made or allowed to go into the gutter or roadway, but shall be disposed of in receptacles maintained on said real property as required for the disposal of garbage.” [Oakland Municipal Code §13.16.100A]
- Please utilize your green yard trimmings and food scraps cart to its capacity.
Working together, we can minimize the added impacts of the leaf season.
City of Oakland 2014 Holidays
- Wednesday, January 1, 2014 (New Year’s Day holiday observed)
- Monday, January 20, 2014 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday observed)
- Wednesday, February 12, 2014 (Lincoln's Birthday holiday observed)
- Monday, February 17, 2014 (President's Day holiday observed)
- Monday, May 26, 2014 (Memorial Day holiday observed)
- Friday, July 4, 2014 (Independence Day holiday observed)
- Monday, September 1, 2014 (Labor Day holiday observed)
- Tuesday, September 9, 2014 (California Admission Day holiday observed)
- Tuesday, November 11, 2014 (Veteran's Day holiday observed)
- Thursday, November 27, 2014 (Thanksgiving Day holiday observed)
- Friday, November 28, 2014 (Day after Thanksgiving Day holiday observed)
- Thursday, December 25, 2014 (Christmas Day holiday observed)
- Lincoln's Birthday (February 12, 2014)
- California Admission Day (September 9, 2014)
- Veteran's Day (November 11, 2014)