Our Upcoming Events
Illegal Dumping Is a Crime!
Oakland Public Works Agency hauls away tons of trash from the public right-of-way every year, from construction debris to household trash. This trash would otherwise end up in our neighborhoods, creeks and waterways. Property values decline where illegal dumping is rampant. Community and governmental agencies need to work in partnership to stop the enormous problem of illegal dumping. Here is how you can help:
See It - Write down the dumper’s description: include gender, ethnicity, age, hair color, clothing, etc. Write down the vehicle description: include license plate number, color, make, model & approximate year, if known.
Report It - Call the Public Works Call Center at (510) 615-5566. Dumping in progress should be called in to Oakland Police Department non-emergency line (510)777-3333. OPD also provides an on-line report process at www.oaklandpolice.com for illegal dumping that is witnessed by a citizen, but is no longer in progress.
Stop It - Get involved! With your help, we can reduce illegal dumping in our communities. Use this list of tips to help prevent illegal dumping.
Illegal Dumping Removal
- The Illegal Dumping crews remove trash, debris and other refuse illegally dumped in the public right-of-way.
- When reporting illegal dumping problems, please be sure to have the exact address and provide information as to the specific type of debris, e.g., tires, couches, mattresses, trash bags, etc.
- Waste Management of Alameda County is responsible for daily servicing of the litter containers in the downtown area. The illegal dumping staff is responsible for maintenance and repair of these containers, for clearing debris from the areas surrounding the litter containers and for providing a second litter container service, as needed.
- To report overflowing litter containers, please contact Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710. When calling, please provide the litter container number or the exact location of the litter container.
- To legally dispose of unwanted household items:
- Donate your salvageable items to Goodwill Industries (510) 698-7200 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Salvation Army (510) 451-4514 or www.salvationarmy.org.
- Contact Waste Management of Alameda County to schedule a free bulky pickup (mattresses, sofas, chairs, tables, appliances) at (510) 613-8710 or email@example.com.
- When purchasing new appliances or mattresses, request the store to remove your unwanted old appliances or mattresses.
- Waste Management of Alameda County is the only licensed hauler within the City of Oakland. When having materials removed by landscape contractors or other individuals, request a copy of the receipt from the dump to make sure that your property is disposed of properly.
- Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalk in front of their property. Leaving debris and/or bulky items on the sidewalk is illegal, unless a pickup of these items has already been scheduled.
Helpful flyer on How to Safely Dispose of Debris, Waste and Recyclables.
Other helpful phone numbers:
TTY (510) 238-3254
Oakland Code Enforcement (510) 238-3381 regarding blight or nuisance on private property
Alameda County Complaints:
Vector Control (rats or other pests) (510) 567-6800
Restaurant / Food (health) (510) 567-6700
Abandoned Vehicles (Police) (510) 777-8622
Hazardous Materials (Fire) (510) 238-3927
Animal Services (City) (510) 535-5602
Recycling & Garbage (City) (510) 238-SAVE
Waste Management (510) 613-8710 for all garbage services or to schedule bulky pickups