Our Upcoming Events
STOP ILLEGAL DUMPING!
What You Do Matters!
Oakland Public Works hauls away tons of trash from the public right-of-way every year, from construction debris to household trash. This trash would otherwise end up in our neighborhoods, creeks and waterways. Property values decline where illegal dumping is rampant. Community and governmental agencies need to work in partnership to stop the enormous problem of illegal dumping. Here is how you can help:
Four Ways to Report Illegal Dumping
1. Call the Public Works Call Center 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at (510) 615-5566
2. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Mobile app: www.SeeClickFix.com
4. Online: www.oaklandpw.com click on "Report a Problem"
Include the type of debris, amount and location in your report. Never touch hazardous or medical waste!
If You Witness Illegal Dumping
Please provide the following information to assist us in catching and prosecuting illegal dumpers:
- Photo of the incident
- Liscense plate number and a description of any vehicles involved
- Description of the offender(s)
- Description of items dumped
- Time, date and location of incident you witnessed
Discourage Dumping on Your Property
- Light outdoor areas around your home and property
- Maintain clear sight lines so you can monitor from inside your home
- Use survellance cameras to record illegal dumping
- Define your property boundaries with plants, paving, short walls or fences
- Trim bushes to 36 inches high and tree limbs 7 feet from the ground, cut weeds and maintain a clean environment
- Remove graffiti within 24-48 hours
Volunteer to Clean Up Your Community!
Call to coordinate or join clean up events in your community:
(510) 238-7630 or visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org
Please Do Your Part!
How to Legally Dispose of Garbage
1. Schedule a Bulky Waste Pickup or Rent a Dumpster
Call Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710. For information about available services or eligibility for Oakland residents' free annual pickup, visit: www.wm.com.
2. Subscribe to Adequate Garbage Services
Call Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710 for information.
3. Haul It Yourself to a Disposal Facility
Davis Street Transfer Station, San Leandro, call for hours and fees at (510) 638-2303 or visit www.dsgardencenter.com
City of Berkeley Transfer Station, call for hours and fees at (510) 981-7270 or visit www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/transferstation
4 Drop Off Electronics & Hazardous Waste
Call for guidelines and hours: (800) 606-6606 or visit www.household-hazwaste.org
Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facility: Residents and small businesses can dispose of hazardous wastes such as paint, solvents, batteries, light bulbs, automotive fluids, pesticides, needles, medicines and more..
5. More Information on Reuse & Recycling
Call Oakland Recycles at (510) 238-7283 or visit www.oaklandrecycles.com
FACT: Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalk in front of their property. Leaving debris and/or bulky items on the sidewalk is illegal, unless a pickup of these items has already been scheduled.
Helpful flyer on How to Safely Dispose of Debris, Waste and Recyclables
Other helpful phone numbers:
TTY (510) 238-3254
Oakland Code Enforcement (510) 238-3381 regarding blight or nuisance on private property
Alameda County Complaints:
Vector Control (rats or other pests) (510) 567-6800
Restaurant / Food (health) (510) 567-6700
Abandoned Vehicles (Police) (510) 777-8622
Hazardous Materials (Fire) (510) 238-3927
Animal Services (City) (510) 535-5602
Recycling & Garbage (City) (510) 238-SAVE
Waste Management (510) 613-8710 for all garbage services or to schedule bulky pickups