Our Upcoming Events
23rd Annual Oakland Earth Day
Saturday, April 22, 2017
Join your neighbors to clean and green Oakland! Groups and individuals of all ages and abilities are invited to join cleanup and restoration projects at creeks, parks, and neighborhood sites throughout Oakland. All tools are provided.
- 2017 Project Locations
- Promotional Materials
- Oakland Earth Day - A History of Stewardship
- Site Registration Information
- Individual or group volunteer registration
- Photos and Videos
- Site Coordinator Documents
- Data Reporting Instructions for Site Coordinators
- Additional Volunteer Opportunities
- Accessibility Information
2017 Project Locations
2017 Earth Day Posters:
Check out our Sustainable Oakland Facebook page for Oakland Creek to Bay information and share our posts with your friends.
Tag your related photos and social media posts with #oaklandearthday.
Oakland Earth Day - A History of Stewardship
Earth Day marks the anniversary of what many consider to be the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970. According to Earth Day Network, “more than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.” Thousands of volunteers will join this global effort for the 23rd Annual Oakland Earth Day, Saturday April 22, 2017.
Oakland Earth Day is the City’s largest community volunteer event and is sponsored by Oakland Public Works, with support from the Alameda County Flood Control and Water Conservation District. Volunteers may choose from a variety of activities and sites, including litter pickup, graffiti removal, weeding, planting, and habitat restoration in parks, creeks, and streets throughout Oakland.
In 2016 over 2,300 volunteers pitched in more than 7,800 hours at ninety-one sites across Oakland. Volunteers removed more than 215 cubic yards of trash and more than 400 cubic yards of weeds and green waste. In total, the trash and green waste removed was enough to fill about 4,000 35-gallon garbage bags.
Site Registration is Closed
Sign up for Volunteer Information
- Volunteer Guideline, Reglas para voluntarios, 義工守則 - safety, conduct, and general procedures for all volunteers
- Volunteer Waiver and Sign-in Form, Renuncia de responsabilidades de grupos, 團體免責聲明 - ensure all volunteers sign prior to starting; please submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail (250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, ESD, STE 5301, Oakland, CA 94612), or fax (510-238-7286)
- Injury reporting form, Lesiones formulario de informe, 受伤报告表 - please use this to report accidents, injuries, and near-misses
- Site Coordinator Guide - practical tips for running your volunteer event
- Photo Documentation Tips, Tips para documentar fotografias, 照片紀錄提示 - tips for taking volunteer photos
- Donation Request Template, Carta modelo para pedir donaciones, 要求捐贈樣板 - for requesting donations of food or other goods for your volunteers
- Donation "Thank You" Template, Carta modela para dar la gracias, 多謝捐贈樣板 - to acknowledge donations received for volunteer projects
- City of Oakland Contacts, Contactos de la ciudad, 市府聯絡資料 - quick reference for whom to call for police assistance, other emergencies, debris disposal, and more
Report Results by 8pm Sunday, April 23
(for Site Coordinators Only)
Please use the Track It Forward mobile phone application or online tool to report volunteer hours and other workday results. Your reports on activities and accomplishments help us tell the volunteer story and improve event coordination.
Registered Site Coordinators received an email with their user names and passwords.
To login online, visit the Track It Forward website and search for your site. You must complete this step before attempting to access Track It Forward on your mobile phone (optional).
Contact email@example.com if you did not receive login information, if you need to register a new volunteer site, or if you have any questions.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Celebrate Earth Day every day!
Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org or call 510-238-7630 for more volunteer information.
Follow us on the Sustainable Oakland Facebook page for additional volunteer and Oakland sustainability information.
The City of Oakland Public Works offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We encourage individuals with all abilities to volunteer. Some volunteer opportunities may be located in areas without a designated path of travel and may require significant physical exertion.
To obtain accessibility information or to request a sign language interpreter or any other disability-related accommodation, please contact the Earth Day Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-7611, or TTY (510) 238-3254 at least three days in advance.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this event.