Our Upcoming Events
Translate this page
Oakland Earth Day Saturday, April 23, 2016
Earth Day marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970. According to Earth Day Network, “more than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.” Thousands of volunteers will join this global effort for the 22nd Annual Oakland Earth Day, Saturday April 23, 2016. Oakland Earth Day is the city’s largest community volunteer event and is sponsored by Oakland Public Works, with support from the Alameda County Flood Control and Water Conservation District.
Sign up for Volunteer Information
- Promotional documents:
- Media Release
- East Bay Times Article
- Volunteer Guideline (English), Spanish (español), Chinese (文中) - safety, conduct and general procedures all volunteers must abide by
- Volunteer Waiver and Sign-in Form (English), Spanish (español), Chinese (文中) - ensure all volunteers sign prior to starting. Please submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail (250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, ESD, STE 5301, Oakland, CA 94612) or fax (510-238-7286).
- Site Coordinator Guide - practical tips for running your volunteer event
- Photo Documentation Tips - tips for taking photos on Earth Day
- Site Summary/Results Form - Paper form available, but online submission is preferred. Please submit results immediately after your event so we can report results and troubleshoot issues in the field.
- Donation Request Template - Template letter for requesting donations for your Earth Day volunteers.
- Donation Thank You Template - Template thank you letter to send to businesses that donate for Earth Day.
- City of Oakland contacts- quick reference for whom to call for police assistance, other emergencies, debris disposal, and more!
- Injury reporting form (English), Spanish (español), Chinese 文(中) - please use this to report accidents, injuries, and near-misses
Report Results by 8pm Sunday, April 24
(for Site Coordinators Only)
Please use the Track It Forward mobile phone application or online tool to report volunteer hours and other workday results. Your reports on activities and accomplishments help us tell the volunteer story and improve event coordination.
Registered Site Coordinators received an email with their user names and passwords.
To login online, visit the Track It Forward website and search for your site. You must complete this step before attempting to access Track It Forward on your mobile phone (optional).
Contact email@example.com if you did not receive login information, if you need to register a new volunteer site, or if you have any questions.
At minimum, we ask you to report:
· Total number of volunteers and total volunteer hours for your site: hours worked x number of volunteers = total volunteer hours
· Total number of garbage and green waste bags – and recycling if you have this separate.
Earth Day Photos
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Celebrate Earth Day every day!
Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org or call 510-238-7630 for more volunteer information.
The City of Oakland Public Works offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We encourage individuals with all abilities to volunteer their time and efforts. Some volunteer opportunities may be located in areas without a designated path of travel and may require significant physical exertion. To discuss available volunteer opportunities and to request disability related accommodations, please contact the Earth Day Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-7611.