Our Upcoming Events
Translate this page
20th Annual Oakland Creek to Bay Day
September 19, 2015
Oakland Creek to Bay Day is part of California and International Coastal Cleanup Day, the largest volunteer day in California and the world. On this day, thousands of volunteers beautify and remove trash from waterways and shorelines across California, the nation, and in about 100 participating countries. Oakland Creek to Bay Day projects help clean and beautify Oakland's creeks, shorelines and Lake Merritt. Local cleanups also help keep trash out of San Francisco Bay, the oceans and our beaches. The records of what and how much trash is collected on Creek to Bay Day also helps strengthen pollution law and policy.
In 2014 approximately 1,000 Oakland volunteers removed over 500 bags of trash and over 150 cubic yards of invasive weeds from Oakland’s creeks and bay shoreline. Worldwide 560,000 volunteers in 91 countries removed 16 million pounds of trash along 13,000 miles of beaches and inland waterways. Click here to read more about the impacts of Oakland Creek to Bay Day 2014.
Please join us for the 20th anniversary Oakland Creek to Bay Day Saturday September 19, 2015.
Oakland Creek to Bay Day projects include trash removal, invasive plant removal and planting native plants. Groups of all ages are welcome to participate and are encouraged to gather friends, family and co-workers to have fun and help improve the health of our community and environment.
Register Your Site
Lead a Creek to Bay Day project! As a Site Coordinator, you will have access to:
- Logistical Support
- Debris Pickup and/or debris bin services
- Tool Loans
Sign up for Volunteer Information
Pre-registration for individuals and small groups is not required.
Links to promotional items will be posted here soon. Please check back for updates.
Additional links to coordinator documents will be posted here soon. Please check back for updates.
- Volunteer Guidelines (English), (español), (Chinese) - safety, conduct and general procedures for all volunteers
- Volunteer waiver and sign-in form (English), (español), (Chinese) - ensure all volunteers sign prior to starting. Please submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail (250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, ESD, STE 5301, Oakland, CA 94612) or fax (510-238-7286).
- Site coordinator guide - practical tips for running your volunteer event
- Background information to share with volunteers - How trash get into our creeks, Plastics breakdown poster, Plastic waste from land to ocean flyer and Top ten litter items in California flyer
- Site summary/results form - Paper form available, but online submission is preferred. Please submit results immediately after your event so we can report results and troubleshoot issues in the field.
- City of Oakland contacts- quick reference for whom to call for police assistance, other emergencies, debris disposal, and more!
- Injury reporting form (English), (español), (Chinese) - please use this to report accidents, injuries, and near-misses
Click the links to the right to download: 2015 Poster, Flyer, Logo, Press Release (coming soon), 2014 results
Oakland Creek to Bay Day Video
Oakland Creek to Bay Day Photos
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Oakland hosts volunteer opportunities throughout the year to care for our creeks and waterways. Click here to be added to our volunteer email list. Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org, email email@example.com, or call (510) 238-7630 for more information on how you can help! You can also stay connected and up to date by following the Sustainable Oakland Facebook page.
American Disabilities Act Information
The City of Oakland Public Works offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We encourage individuals with disabilities to volunteer their time and efforts. Some volunteer opportunities may be located in areas without a designed path of travel and may require significant physical labor. To discuss available volunteer opportunities, please contact the Creek to Bay Day Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-7611.