Our Upcoming Events
Translate this page
21st Annual Oakland Creek to Bay Day
September 17, 2016
Oakland Creek to Bay Day is part of California and International Coastal Cleanup Day, the largest volunteer day in California and the world. On this day, thousands of volunteers beautify and remove trash from waterways and shorelines across California, the nation, and in about 100 participating countries. Oakland Creek to Bay Day projects help clean and beautify Oakland's creeks, shorelines and Lake Merritt. Local cleanups also help keep trash out of San Francisco Bay, the oceans and our beaches. The records of what and how much trash is collected on Creek to Bay Day also helps strengthen pollution law and policy.
In 2015, over 1,200 volunteers removed 16,000 pounds of trash and 150 cubic yards of invasive weeds from Oakland's creeks, parks, shoreline, and streets. Statewide, 53,555 volunteers prevented 548,450 pounds of trash from entering inland waterways and oceans. Click here to read more about the impacts of Oakland Creek to Bay Day 2015.
Join your neighbors to beautify Oakland's creeks and shorelines at the 21st Annual Oakland Creek to Bay Day - Saturday September 17, 2016!
Oakland Creek to Bay Day projects include trash removal, invasive plant removal and planting native plants. Groups of all ages are welcome to participate and are encouraged to gather friends, family and co-workers to have fun and help improve the health of our community and environment.
Oakland Creek to Bay Day Photos
Register Your Site!
• Logistical support
• Debris pickup and/or debris bin service
• Tool loans
Sign up for Volunteer Information
click this link to see the full map site details (http://goo.gl/lbYLwv)
Please note that 2016 promotional items are still being developed. Check back again this summer to find 2016 promotional materials.
Click the links below to download promotional items from 2015:
Tag your photos and social media with #oaklandcreektobay.
- Volunteer Guidelines (English), (español), (中文) - safety, conduct and general procedures for all volunteers
- Volunteer waiver and sign-in form (English), (español), (中文) - ensure all volunteers sign prior to starting. Please submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail (250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, ESD, STE 5301, Oakland, CA 94612) or fax (510-238-7286).
- Site coordinator guide - practical tips for running your volunteer event
- Photo Guide - tips for taking photos on Creek to Bay Day
- Background information to share with volunteers - How trash get into our creeks, Plastics breakdown poster, Plastic waste from land to ocean flyer and Top ten litter items in California flyer.
- Donation Request Template - Template letter for requesting donations for your Creek to Bay Day volunteers.
- Donation Thank You Template - Template thank you letter to send to businesses that donate for Creek to Bay Day.
- City of Oakland contacts- quick reference for whom to call for police assistance, other emergencies, debris disposal, and more!
- Injury reporting form (English), (español), (中文) - please use this to report accidents, injuries, and near-misses.
Report Your Results by 1:00 PM
(for Site Coordinators Only)
on Creek to Bay Day, Saturday September 17, 2016
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Oakland hosts volunteer opportunities throughout the year to care for our creeks and waterways. Click here to be added to our volunteer email list. Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org, email email@example.com, or call (510) 238-7630 for more information on how you can help! You can also stay connected and up to date by following the Sustainable Oakland Facebook page.
American Disabilities Act Information
The City of Oakland Public Works offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We encourage individuals with disabilities to volunteer their time and efforts. Some volunteer opportunities may be located in areas without a designed path of travel and may require significant physical labor. To discuss available volunteer opportunities, please contact the Creek to Bay Day Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-7611.