Our Upcoming Events
21st Annual Oakland Creek to Bay Day
Saturday, September 17, 2016
Join your neighbors to clean and green Oakland's creeks and shoreline. Groups and individuals of all ages and abilities are invited to join watershed cleanup and restoration projects at creeks, parks, and neighborhood sites throughout Oakland. All tools are provided.
Quick links: Go right to the information you need by clicking in the links below, or scroll down for all information.
- Oakland Creek to Bay Day - Local Action with Global Impact
- Site Registration Information
- Individual or group volunteer registration
- 2016 Project Locations
- Photos and Videos
- Promotional Materials
- Site Coordinator Documents
- Data Reporting Instructions for Site Coordinators
- Additional Volunteer Opportunities
- Accessibility Information
Local Action with Global Impact
Oakland Creek to Bay Day is part of California and International Coastal Cleanup Day, the largest volunteer day in California and the world. On this day, thousands of volunteers remove litter from waterways and shorelines across California, the nation, and in about 100 participating countries.
Cleaning and greening projects in Oakland keep litter from going downstream through Oakland's creeks to San Francisco Bay and the oceans and beaches beyond.
In 2015, over 1,200 volunteers removed 16,000 pounds of trash and 150 cubic yards of invasive weeds from Oakland's creeks, parks, shoreline, and streets. Statewide, 53,555 volunteers prevented 548,450 pounds of trash from entering inland waterways and oceans. Over 791,000 volunteers from ninety-three countries also pitched in and removed more than eighteen million pounds of trash during last year's cleanup. Click here to read more about the impacts of Oakland Creek to Bay Day 2015.
Register Your Site!
• Tool loans
• Logistical support
Sign up for Volunteer Information
2016 Project Locations
2016 Creek to Bay Day Posters:
Please check back in late summer for additional materials.
Check out our Sustainable Oakland Facebook page for Oakland Creek to Bay information and share our posts with your friends.
Tag your related photos and social media posts with #oaklandcreektobay.
- Volunteer Guidelines (English), español (Spanish), 中文 (Chinese) - safety, conduct, and general procedures for all volunteers
- Volunteer Waiver and Sign-in Form (English), español, 中文 - ensure all volunteers sign prior to starting; please submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail (250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, ESD, Suite 5301, Oakland, CA 94612), or fax (510-238-7286).
- Injury Reporting Form (English), español, 中文 - please use this form to report accidents, injuries, and near-misses
- Site Coordinator Guide - practical tips for running your volunteer event
- Photo Documentation Tips - tips for taking volunteer photos
- Donation Request Template - for requesting donations of food or other goods for your volunteers
- Donation "Thank You" Template - to acknowledge donations received for volunteer projects
- City of Oakland Contacts - quick reference for whom to call for police assistance, other emergencies, debris disposal, and more
- Background information to share with volunteers:
Report Your Results by 1:00 PM
(for Site Coordinators Only)
on Creek to Bay Day, Saturday September 17, 2016
Please use the Track It Forward mobile phone application or online tool to report volunteer hours and other workday results. Your reports on activities and accomplishments help us tell the volunteer story and improve event coordination.
Registered Site Coordinators received an email with their user names and passwords.
To login online, visit the Track It Forward website and search for your site. You must complete this step before attempting to access Track It Forward on your mobile phone (optional).
Contact email@example.com if you did not receive login information, if you need to register a new volunteer site, or if you have any questions.
If you are unable to report online on Creek to Bay Day, you may call in your results to (510) 238-7630. Let us know your name, your site name, the number of volunteers, the number of hours worked, and the amount of trash and green waste collected.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Oakland hosts volunteer opportunities throughout the year to care for our creeks and watersheds. Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (510) 238-7630 for more information on how you can help!
Follow us on the Sustainable Oakland Facebook page for additional volunteer and Oakland sustainability information.
The City of Oakland Public Works offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We encourage individuals with all abilities to volunteer. Some volunteer opportunities may be located in areas without a designated path of travel and may require significant physical exertion.
To obtain accessibility information or to request a sign language interpreter or any other disability-related accommodation, please contact the Creek to Bay Day Coordinator at email@example.com or (510) 238-7611, or TTY (510) 238-3254 at least three business days in advance.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this event.