Our Upcoming Events
22nd Annual Oakland Creek to Bay Day
Saturday, September 16, 2017
Join your neighbors to clean and green Oakland's creeks and shoreline. Groups and individuals of all ages and abilities are invited to join watershed cleanup and restoration projects at creeks, parks, and neighborhood sites throughout Oakland. All tools are provided.
Quick links: Go right to the information you need by clicking in the links below, or scroll down for all information.
- Oakland Creek to Bay Day - Local Action with Global Impact
- Site Registration Information
- 2017 Project Locations
- Individual or group volunteer registration
- Photos and Videos
- Promotional Materials
- Site Coordinator Documents
- Data Reporting Instructions for Site Coordinators
- Additional Volunteer Opportunities
- Accessibility Information
Local Action with Global Impact
Oakland Creek to Bay Day is part of California and International Coastal Cleanup Day, the largest volunteer day in California and the world. On this day, thousands of volunteers remove litter from waterways and shorelines across California, the nation, and in about 100 participating countries.
Cleaning and greening projects in Oakland keep litter from going downstream through Oakland's creeks to San Francisco Bay and the oceans and beaches beyond.
In 2016 more than 1,000 volunteers removed over 130 cubic yards of trash and cleared over 260 cubic yards of invasive plants from creeks, parks, shorelines and streets at 46 Oakland locations. These local activities add up to large-scale environmental impacts, especially when taken together with coinciding cleanups throughout California, the nation and in about 100 countries participating in Coastal Cleanup Day. Habitat restoration and litter removal at Oakland’s 15 creeks improves wildlife habitat and helps filter pollutants before they reach the San Francisco Bay. Keeping trash out of streets and waterways also helps prevent flooding by allowing storm water to flow through unobstructed storm drains. Oakland Creek to Bay Day raises awareness about sources of water pollution, and is a fun, community-building event for participants of all ages and abilities. Click here to read more about the impacts of Oakland Creek to Bay Day 2016.
Register Your Site for our 2017 Event
• Tool loans
• Logistical support
2017 Project Locations
Sign up for Volunteer Information
Past Oakland Creek to Bay Day Photos and Video
2017 Creek to Bay Day Posters:
Check out our Sustainable Oakland Facebook page for Oakland Creek to Bay information and share our posts with your friends.
Tag your related photos and social media posts with #oaklandcreektobay.
- Volunteer Guidelines (English), español (Spanish), 中文 (Chinese) - safety, conduct, and general procedures for all volunteers
- Volunteer Waiver and Sign-in Form (English), español, 中文 - ensure all volunteers sign prior to starting; please submit completed forms to email@example.com, or by mail (250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, ESD, Suite 5301, Oakland, CA 94612), or fax (510-238-7286).
- Injury Reporting Form (English), español, 中文 - please use this form to report accidents, injuries, and near-misses
- Site Coordinator Guide - practical tips for running your volunteer event
- Photo Documentation Tips - tips for taking volunteer photos
- Donation Request Template - for requesting donations of food or other goods for your volunteers
- Donation "Thank You" Template - to acknowledge donations received for volunteer projects
- City of Oakland Contacts - quick reference for whom to call for police assistance, other emergencies, debris disposal, and more
- Background information to share with volunteers:
Report Your Results by 1:00 PM
(for Site Coordinators Only)
on Creek to Bay Day, Saturday September 16, 2017
Please use the Track It Forward mobile phone application or online tool to report volunteer hours and other workday results. Your reports on activities and accomplishments help us tell the volunteer story and improve event coordination.
Registered Site Coordinators received an email with their user names and passwords.
To login online, visit the Track It Forward website and search for your site. You must complete this step before attempting to access Track It Forward on your mobile phone (optional).
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive login information, if you need to register a new volunteer site, or if you have any questions.
If you are unable to report online on Creek to Bay Day, you may call in your results to (510) 238-7630. Let us know your name, your site name, the number of volunteers, the number of hours worked, and the amount of trash and green waste collected.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Oakland hosts volunteer opportunities throughout the year to care for our creeks and watersheds. Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org, email email@example.com, or call (510) 238-7630 for more information on how you can help!
Follow us on the Sustainable Oakland Facebook page for additional volunteer and Oakland sustainability information.
The City of Oakland Public Works offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We encourage individuals with all abilities to volunteer. Some volunteer opportunities may be located in areas without a designated path of travel and may require significant physical exertion.
To obtain accessibility information or to request a sign language interpreter or any other disability-related accommodation, please contact the Creek to Bay Day Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-7611, or TTY (510) 238-3254 at least three business days in advance.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this event.