Our Upcoming Events
News, Updates & C&D Resources
• News and Updates - C&D Hauling: Non-Exclusive Franchise Required
• Oakland's C&D Recycling Ordinance
• Salvage, Reuse & Recycling Facilities
• Salvaged, Reused & Recycled Content Building Materials
• Technical Assistance at the Green Building Resource Center (GBRC)
• Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF) Requirement
• Obtaining a Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF)
• Green Building Products, Reviews and News
• Green Building Organizations
• Green Building Case Studies
• Carpet Tile Reuse Update
News and Updates
Construction & Demolition Debris Hauling – Non-Exclusive Franchises (NEF) Required to Provide Services in Oakland
On July 1, 2015 Ordinance 13315 C.M.S. amending Oakland Municipal Code Chapter 15.34 CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION DEBRIS COLLECTION, TRANSPORTATION, WASTE REDUCTION AND RECYCLING REQUIREMENTS went into effect. Parties collecting, transporting or disposing of construction and demolition (C&D) debris are now required to obtain a Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF) from the City of Oakland, including demolition contractors and sub-contractors, and parties collecting, transporting or disposing of C&D debris using fixed body trucks, trailers or debris boxes, except:
- A party collecting and transporting C&D materials salvaged for reuse and donated by the property owner or contractor.
- The property owner or full-time employee of the property owner using the property owner’s equipment to collect and transport C&D debris.
- A construction contractor performing construction work whose collection and transport of C&D debris is incidental to the construction work, provided that the contractor uses their own fixed-body trucks and employees for the collection and transportation of the C&D debris, and collects and transports the C&D debris at no additional or separate fee. This “incidental” provision does not apply to demolition contractors and sub-contractors.
- A party collecting source separated commodities, separated on the job site, for recycling.
Obtaining a Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF)
Parties that submit an application and pay the application fee will be permitted to collect and transport C&D debris in Oakland while the City processes the application. The City will notify applicants of the award of an NEF and provide instructions for completing the process. Applicants not awarded an NEF must cease providing C&D debris collection and transportation services in Oakland.
Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF) Application
This application must be completed by any party required to have an NEF to provide C&D debris collection and transportation services in Oakland.
Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF) Agreement
September 2016 revisions to NEF agreement that will be executed with each approved NEF Applicant.
Non-Exclusive Franchise (NEF) Recruitment Letter
This letter was sent to prospective NEF applicants inviting them to apply for a NEF.
For more information contact:
C&D Non-Exclusive Franchise Manager
Environmental Services Division
250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5301
Oakland, California 94612
(510) 238- SAVE (7283)
- City of Oakland Construction and Demolition Debris Waste Reduction and Recycling Ordinance Chapter 15.34
- Recycling Wizard (opens in new window) - from your desktop or Smartphone you can find salvage and recycling businesses in our region.
- Recycler Finder (opens in new window)- search by material and zip code from your Smartphone or computer; Powered by the Recycling Wizard for local listings and expanding nationwide with the help of builders and service providers across the US.
- California Materials Exchange (CalMAX, opens in new window) - A website that covers the entire State of California. Free ads posted online are good for 3 months.
Salvaged, Reused & Recycled Content Building Materials
Incorporating salvaged and reused materials is a great way to improve the green value of a project. Above we mentioned the Recycler Finder and the StopWaste.Org Recycling Wizard to help you find salvage and reuse businesses in the region where you can purchase building materials. We encourage you to visit these businesses to get familiar with the kinds of products they carry, even if you don’t need something right now. While the inventory is never the same, understanding the general trends will help jump start your search when you do need something.
How do RECYCLED CONTENT products fit into the picture? Materials collected for recycling are not actually recycled until:
(a) They are processed and manufactured into new products, and
(b) Consumers purchase and use those new products.
You’ve probably heard this referred to as "closing the loop". "Closing the loop" promotes environmentally sound building and increases demand for (builds local businesses and industry) recycled materials, which conserves natural resources and landfill space.
You are not recycling until you are buying recycled!
Technical Assistance at the Green Building Resource Center (GBRC)
Staff is available at the GBRC to help Building Permit Applicants complete plans and reports required by the City’s C&D Ordinance, including online (Green Halo) submittals. Staff can help you with plans for waste reduction and recycling, on-site recycling logistics, and other reuse or recycling needs.
Open Office Hours:
Green Halo (online submittals) 8:30 am
All Topics 9:30 to 10:30 am, first come, first served
Green Halo (online submittals) 1:30 pm
All Topics 2:30 to 3:30 pm, first come, first served
NOTE: Staff will provide seminar-style assistance for Green Halo submittals by Building Permit Applicants at each computer workstation, to facilitate hands-on experience for multiple users simultaneously. Please arrive promptly.
The GBRC is located at 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd floor, next to the Planning and Zoning counters. The GBRC features green building information, product samples and catalogues, case studies and much more. 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza is accessible and bike/BART friendly with several parking garages conveniently located nearby.
For more information, email C&DRecycling@oaklandnet.com or call (510) 238-SAVE (7283).
Green Building Products, Reviews and News
State of California's Database of Recycled-Content Product Manufacturers - Information about recycled content product manufacturers
Greenspec - The Environmental Building News Product Directory is a fantastic compilation of products for all aspects of construction and site work.
Building Green - LEED Credits, Green Building Products, Case Studies, Blogs, Education, CSI Divisions and News
Environmental Building News - Articles, news and reviews of green building products, including salvage and reuse ideas.
Green Building Organizations
Architects, Designers & Planners for Social Responsibility - This group runs a great list serve to post questions, answers or trade building related items.
United States Green Building Council
Sample Contract Language
Feel free to use the following sample language in contracts with subcontractors and instructions to employees to better achieve recycling goal.
Sample Contract Language (WORD Document) or Sample Contract Language (PDF Document)
Carpet Tile Reuse Update
Thanks to the many contractors around the Bay Area who participated in the first year of the StopWaste.Org sponsored carpet tile recovery program. Urban Ore, Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore and The Reuse People report that demand frequently outstripped supply, meaning the program is working to keep valuable materials out of the landfill. This means that we also have to thank the general public who purchased the carpet tiles.
To participate in this reuse project or for more details, please visit http://www.stopwaste.org/docs/got_carpet_tiles.pdf (opens in new window)
or contact the following participating companies:
|Urban Ore |
(510) 841-7283 x 314
|Habitat for Humanity ReStore |
|The ReUse People |
General Carpet Recycling
Green Waste Recovery, in partnership with The Carpet Recyclers, is now accepting carpeting for recycling at three San Jose Locations. Please call or email to confirm hours and details before delivering materials.
866-847-7286 or email@example.com
1555 South7th Street, San Jose, CA 95112
625 Charles Street, San Jose, CA 95112
705 Los Esteros Road, San Jose, CA 95134
Oakland Public Works
Environmental Services Division, Recycling Program
250 Frank H Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5301
Oakland, CA 94612-2034
Phone: (510) 238-SAVE (238-7283)
Fax: (510) 238-7286
TDD: (510) 238-3254