Our Upcoming Events
Residential Recycling & Garbage Service
Oakland's Residential Recycling & Garbage Program for Single-Family Homes and 2-4 Unit Apartment Buildings is a three-cart program:
- Green cart - weekly yard trimmings and food scraps recycling
- Gray cart - weekly bottles, cans, jars, paper and cardboard recycling
- Burgundy cart - weekly garbage, film plastics, plastic bags and other non-recyclable materials
- The Single Family residential program also includes:
Oakland's Residential Recycling Program for Multi-Family buildings (5-9 units) is a two-container program:
- Recycling - weekly bottles, cans, jars, paper and cardboard recycling
- Garbage - weekly garbage, film plastics, plastic bags and other non-recyclable materials
- The Multi-Family residential program also includes:
- Optional Yard Trimmings with Food Scraps Recycling
- Optional Bulky Pickup to the first 1,100 callers
How to Get Service:
- Residential garbage and yard trimmings are picked up once a week by Waste Management of Alameda County. Call (510) 613-8710 to subscribe to service or to request a cart.
- Residential Recycling is picked up by two service providers:
- North and West Oakland: Recycling service is provided by California Waste Solutions. Call (510) 836-6200 to subscribe to service or to request a cart.
- East Oakland: Recycling service is provided by Waste Management of Alameda County. Call (510) 613-8710 to subscribe to service or to request a cart.
- To ensure pick-up, all carts should be placed on the curb by 6:00 am on your scheduled pick-up day, unless you have backyard service, a medical exemption or live in a Multi-Family Building (5-9 units)
- Holiday Collection Schedule (what happens when your service day is also a holiday)
Garbage Rates for Residences & Businesses
- Current residential garbage and recycling rates bill insert
- Complete rates for residences and businesses
- Discounted rates for low-income Oakland seniors
More information about Oakland's Recycling Program:
- Alameda County Plant Debris Ban
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Information about who can legally haul solid waste in Oakland
- Proper disposal for home generated sharps
- Services for disabled and senior Oakland residents
Holiday Collection Schedule
There is no garbage, yard trimmings or recycling collection on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day nor on Christmas Day. During weeks when these holidays fall on a weekday, pickup is one day later for the rest of the week, including Satursday. For example, if your regular service day is Tuesday service will occur on Wednesday, or if your regular service day is Friday service will occur on on Saturday.
Garbage, recycling and yard trimmings collection schedules are not affected by any other holidays.
Oakland's Legal Garbage Hauler
Exclusive Franchise Agreement with Waste Management
A number of Oakland businesses have raised questions about whom they may hire to provide solid waste collection and hauling services. In response to these inquiries, we are providing the following information about the City's solid waste ordinances and Waste Management of Alameda County's (WMAC) exclusive agreement for providing solid waste services in the City of Oakland.
Pursuant to Section 8.28.060 of the Oakland Municipal Code (excerpt following) and WMAC's exclusive solid waste agreement with the City of Oakland, WMAC has the exclusive right and duty to collect, transport, and dispose of all residential and commercial solid waste in the City of Oakland. The only exceptions to WMAC's exclusive agreement are:
- The collection of waste resulting from gardening or landscaping work, or construction or demolition work; provided that the service is performed by the same contractor or directly loaded into a fixed body vehicle and hauled directly to a permitted transfer station or disposal facility.
- Source separated recyclable materials, which are, in fact, recycled; provided that
- Loads of mixed paper may contain no more than 10 percent by weight of non-recyclable material, and
- Loads of commingled recyclables other than mixed paper may not contain more than 5 percent by weight of non-recyclable materials.
- Animal waste and by-products of sewage treatment.
- Solid waste which is collected by City of Oakland crews.
- Solid waste hauled directly to a permitted transfer station or disposal facility by a person who is also the generator of the solid waste; and
- Recyclable materials that are donated to a youth, civic or charitable organization.
All other solid waste is required to be collected and disposed of by WMAC, the City's exclusive solid waste service provider. Please note that violation of Section 8.28.060 of the City's Municipal Code is punishable by administrative citations of up to $750.00 for the first issuance, $1,000.00 for the second issuance, and $1,500.00 for all subsequent issuances for any violations occurring within a calendar year. In addition, the City and/or WMAC have other legal remedies available that may be used.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Public Works Recycling Hotline at (510) 238-SAVE (7283).
Plant Debris Banned from Landfills in Alameda County
Alameda County Waste Management Authority enacted a ban on disposal of plant debris in county landfills (Landfill Ban) effective January 1, 2010. This means plant debris cannot be disposed of in regular garbage containers and must be segregated and handled through separate yard trimmings organics collection. The ban applies to individuals, businesses and multi-family residences in Alameda County