Our Upcoming Events
Green Yard Trimmings & Food Scraps Cart
- Yard trimmings are collected every week - Citywide!
- Food scraps and food-soiled papers can be recycled in your yard trimmings cart!
- You may set out properly prepared extra yard trimmings at no extra charge!
Contact Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710 if you need a new or replacement green yard trimmings cart or food scraps pail.
What to Put In
- Yard trimmings including:
- Grass & weeds
- Branches less than 4' long and 6" in diameter or across
- Unpainted, untreated wood less than 4' long and 6" in diameter or across
- Food scraps including:
- Fruits & vegetables
- Meats, poultry and bones
- Coffee grounds
- Dairy products
- Food-soiled paper products including:
- Paper napkins and towels
- Paper plates and cups
- Paper ice cream cartons
- Coffee filters and tea bags
- Paper restaurant take-out containers
What to Keep Out
- Plastic bags, trays or containers
- Cat litter
- Animal feces
- Painted or treated wood
- Dirt or rocks
- Concrete or bricks
The Food Scrap Pail
These pails are for convenient collection of food scraps in your kitchen. Don't put your food scraps pail at the curb for collection. It is only for indoor use in your kitchen, to help you collect food scraps. Empty the pail into the green cart for weekly collection.
- Paper milk cartons
- Paper ice cream cartons
- Brown paper bags lined with newspaper and place the entire carton or bag into your green yard trimmings cart.
NOTE: Material set out in plastic bags cannot be recycled! You may be charged for extra garbage if you place food scraps in plastic bags into your green yard trimmings cart.
Your green yard trimmings cart holds 64 gallons of material.
Feel free to fill it to the top, but don't let it overflow! Make sure the lid closes.
Set out properly prepared extra yard trimmings at no extra charge
You may set out extra yard trimmings, at no extra charge, 3 different ways:
- Place material in your own container (up to 35 gallons) next to your yard trimmings cart. Waste Management will empty and return it to the curb.
- Bundle and tie branches no larger than 4' long and 6" in diameter and place next to your yard trimmings cart.
- Place material in a brown paper bag next to your yard trimmings cart. 30-gallon brown paper bags are inexpensive, convenient and available from many local hardware stores.
NOTE: Material set out in plastic bags cannot be recycled! You may be charged for extra garbage if you set out your extra yard trimmings in plastic bags.
If one cart is not enough...
If you regularly have more yard trimmings than fit in your cart, you may get a second green cart for $7.59 per month. Call Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710 to order an additional cart.