Our Upcoming Events
Oakland's Re-Create Art Contest and Traveling Exhibition
Students in Oakland schools are invited to participate in the 2015 Re-Create Art Contest, Oakland’s annual recycled art competition. Participants will use discarded or reused materials to create artwork that incorporates the 4Rs – reduce, reuse, recycle, and rot. All students in grades K-12 are eligible to participate in the contest. Art supply sets, and theatre and museum passes will be awarded to students who enter this year’s contest and exhibition.
A public reception to recognize participants and contest winners will be held on Friday, January 23, 2015, from 6-8 pm at Pro Arts Gallery, 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA.
The Oakland Re-Create 2015 Art Contest and Traveling Exhibition is sponsored by the City of Oakland, Department of Public Works, and produced by Pro Arts Gallery. For contest deadline and entry information, see the Re-Create brochure or visit Pro Arts Gallery.
Free Re-Create Workshops
Pro Arts will provide FREE hands-on workshops at several Oakland Public Library branches to assist the students in creating artwork from discarded materials:
- Friday, Dec 5, 2014, 1:00pm - Brookfield Branch Library, 9255 Edes Ave.
- Saturday, Dec 6, 2014, 1:00pm - 81st Avenue Branch Library, 1021 81st Ave.
- Tuesday Dec 9, 2014, 4:30pm - West Oakland Branch Library, 1801 Adeline St.
- Wednesday, Dec 10, 2014, 3:00pm Cesar Chavez Branch Library, 3301 E. 12th St.
- Tuesday Dec 16, 2014 - Melrose Branch Library, 4805 Foothill Blvd.
- Friday, Jan 2, 2015, 2:00pm - Elmhurst Branch Library, 1427 88th Ave.
- Monday, Jan 8, 2015, 4:00pm - Main Library, Children’s Room, 125 14th St.
- Friday Jan 9, 2015, 4:00pm - Eastmont Branch Library, 7200 Bancroft Ave., Ste 211
- Saturday, Jan 10, 2015, 2:00pm - Lakeview Branch Library, 550 El Embarcadero
- Tuesday Jan 13, 2015, 4:30pm – Martin Luther King Jr. Branch Library, 6833 International Blvd.
- Wednesday January 14. 2015 - Montclair Branch Library, 1687 Mountain Blvd
- Thursday Jan 15, 2015, 3:30pm - Asian Branch Library, 388 9th St., Ste 190