Our Upcoming Events
Bulky Item Pick-up Services
For All Oakland Residents
All Oakland residents are eligible to receive bulky item pick-up services.
Visit OaklandRecycles.com for more information about all your residential Trash, Compost and Recycling services. Scroll below for the following information about Bulky Item Services:
How to Get Service
- Residents of single family homes (1-unit properties) can schedule appointments for service by calling Waste Management directly at (510) 613-8710.
- Residents of multi-unit buildings (2+ unit properties) can schedule appointments through their property manager/owner. Property managers/owners are required by Oakland Municipal Code to make the service available to residents (OMC 8.28.140.D).
- Waste Management offers property managers/owners different options to schedule pickup and may schedule different appointment dates for each unit or the same date for all units in the same building.
- Appointments are scheduled on your service day, typically two weeks from the date of your request.
FREE BULKY DROP-OFF EVENTS are also held quarterly. Visit OaklandRecycles.com for details and dates.
Frequently Asked Questions
About Oakland's Bulky Item Pickup Services For Residents
When can I set out items for pickup?
You must have an appointment with Waste Management of Alameda County (WMAC). Once you have an appointment you may set out items for collection no sooner than the day before your scheduled appointment, and no later than 6 a.m. on the morning of your scheduled appointment.
When can I call WMAC for an appointment?
You may call WMAC at (510) 613-8710 from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, to schedule your appointment. Please note that there is no bulky service in January. Call before mid-December for appointments in the second half of December.
How far in advance must I call to schedule an appointment?
You may schedule your bulky pickup within 2 weeks of your call, or you may schedule further in advance if you choose.
Will I have to pay more for this service?
NO. It is included in the monthly garbage rate. Overage fees and City of Oakland fines may be applied to improper set outs.
I'm a renter. How do I schedule a pickup?
If you rent a 1-unit, single family home - Call WMAC directly: (510) 613-8710.
If you rent a unit in a multi-unit building:
- Schedule an appointment through your property owner/manager.
- Your property owner/manager may sign a waiver allowing you to call WMAC to schedule a pickup.
I live in a multi-unit building. Do all the households in my building have to schedule pickup on the same day?
NO. Your property owner/manager may schedule a different pickup date for each unit in the building.
I saw the driver mixing the recyclable items with the garbage. Are they really recycling everything I separate for recycling?
- YES! YES! YES!
- WMAC uses two trucks for Bulky Pick Up:
- A flat bed truck is used to pick up the large, recyclable items such as small and large appliances, mattresses, tires, computers, monitors and TVs. ALL OF THESE ITEMS ARE RECYCLED.
- A second, regular garbage truck picks up all of the rest of the recyclable items AND all of the non-recyclable waste items (yes, your recyclables and waste are mixed in this truck!). All loads from this truck are delivered to a recycling facility where the recyclables are separated from the waste.
- All of your properly prepared recyclables ARE RECYCLED!
- Visit OaklandRecycles.com for more information or call Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710 to schedule a pickup appointment.
More Information on Other Recycling Topics
Visit the new OaklandRecycles.com to: pay your bill, request new service or make changes to existing service, find out what goes where, learn about upcoming events, or contact Customer Service.
For Multifamily Property Managers:
Frequently Asked Questions for Multifamily Property Managers | Multifamily Property Manager Assistance | Multifamily Property Manager Toolkit
New Services Overview for Businesses | Frequently Asked Questions for Businesses | Getting Started for Businesses | Business Trash and Compost Rates | Business Recycling Service Provider Directory