Our Upcoming Events
40th Street/MacArthur BART Bicycle Access Project
Goal: To improve east-west bicycle access between MacArthur BART, the Piedmont Ave neighborhood, Kaiser Hospital and Emeryville, and connect to the bicycle and pedestrian path across the new eastern span of the San Francisco Bay Bridge (which opened in September 2013).
Since 2009, the following projects have been constructed:
- 40th Street (Adeline Street to Martin Luther King Jr Way and Telegraph Avenue to Webster Street): An experimental bikeway featuring green pavement and shared roadway bicycle markings (sharrows) was installed in September 2013, as pictured. See project overview flyer, October 2013 for details. Also see the City's approved experiment request (January 2013).
- 41st Street (Webster Street to Piedmont Avenue): bikeway striping (sharrows and bike lanes) was installed in March 2012.
- W MacArthur Boulevard (Telegraph Avenue to Broadway): bike lanes were installed in September 2012.
- 40th/41st Streets (Adeline Street to Piedmont Avenue): bike wayfinding signs were installed in May 2010, in collaboration with BART.
- 40th Street (Martin Luther King Jr Way to Telegraph Avenue): bike lanes were installed in April 2009.