Our Upcoming Events
Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Program
Quick Links: Request a Bike Rack or Bike Parking Corral | Bikeway Projects: Under Development & Completed | Newsletter | Design Guidelines | Bicycle Master Plan | FAQ | Maps | Bicyclist & Pedestrian Advisory Commission | Paving Project Map
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Program is making Oakland even friendlier for bicyclists and pedestrians!
- Plans and implements bicycle projects throughout Oakland
- Secures funding for bicycle projects
- Provides technical assistance on the planning and construction of bicycle and pedestrian projects implemented by other City departments
In 2014, Oakland was designated a Silver Level Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists! Learn more.
News & Projects
Stay in touch (subscribe to e-updates):
Pedestrian facilities are included in—or affected by—almost every capital improvement project in the City. The Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Program assists with the planning and implementation of various pedestrian facilities by providing technical support to other departments and agencies.
Learn about the various ways the public can participate in the implementation of Oakland’s Bicycle Master Plan, including the Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee and other opportunities for input on projects and programs and Bike to Work Day.
Bicyclist & Pedestrian Advisory Commission
Oakland's Bicyclist & Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC) advises the City on the design of bicycle and pedestrian facilities and related issues. Members of the public are welcome to attend.
Bike to Work Day
Since 1994, the City of Oakland Public Works Agency, bicyclists, elected officials, and others celebrate Bike to Work Day with a pancake breakfast and other festivities in front of City Hall.
The I (Bike) Oakland newsletter, published twice a year, provides an update on the City's progress implementing the Bicycle Master Plan.
Learn about other ways the public is informed about or can participate in Bicycle Master Plan implementation.
- Educational Resources: maps, bicycling skills, bicycle commuting, bicycle parking security tips and answers to Frequently Asked Questions about bikeway project implementation
- Oakland Bicycle Facility Design Guidelines: the one-stop resource page for the most current information on how Oakland designs bicycle facilities
- Counting Bicyclists: overview, methodology, and data for Oakland's annual program to count bicyclists citywide, launched by the City in Fall 2011
- Other City Resources: information on or links to other City programs and projects relevant to bicycle facility implementation, maintenance and safety
- Other Organizations: links to advocacy/community groups and programs that relate to the mission of the Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Program
- Oakland Bike Shops