Our Upcoming Events
Latham Square Project
Latham Square is a prominent and architecturally important intersection in the City of Oakland:
- Located at the intersection of two of the most significant streets in Oakland (Telegraph Avenue & Broadway)
- Gateway to the emerging Uptown neighborhood and entertainment district
- Historically significant role in transit history as the hub of major transit lines connecting Richmond and Berkeley
- Flanked by the Rotunda and Cathedral buildings, two of the best local examples of early 20th century architecture
- History Boards: See Latham Square through the ages!
Traffic and Construction Updates
Final design for the plaza has been completed and the construction contract for this work was awarded by the City Council on March 17, 2015. Click here to see the Site Rendering. Oakland Public Works (OPW) has contracted McGuire and Hester, Inc. to construct the Latham Square Streetscape Improvements (Project). The streetscape construction began May 18, 2015 and it is estimated to be completed June 30, 2016. Click here to read the Construction Announcement Letter. Click here to see the latest two week construction schedule.
The City will make every effort to minimize inconveniences. Should you have any questions concerning the construction of this project, please contact Alan Chiang, City of Oakland Resident Engineer, at (510) 238-2299. In case of an emergency after normal business hours, please call (510) 615-5566. For overall project information, please contact Nick Cartagena, Project Manager, at (510) 238-2139 or email@example.com.
The Project will reconstruct the Latham Square Plaza and neighboring roadways and intersections. The Project area is Telegraph Avenue from Broadway to 17th Street, Broadway from 14th Street to 17th Street, and 16th Street from Telegraph to San Pablo Avenue. Click here to see Project Area Map. The improvements include expansion of the Latham Square Plaza, improved intersections, traffic signal upgrades, new roadway surfacing, bulbouts, restoration of the historic Latham fountain, informational panels, landscaping, and pedestrian and decorative lighting.
Temporary Construction Traffic Control
During construction, there will be impacts to traffic on both Broadway and Telegraph Avenue. Some phases of construction will require Broadway to be reduced to one lane in each direction of travel. Telegraph Avenue from Broadway to 16th Street will require a one-block closure to vehicles during construction.
Parking on both sides of 16th Street from Telegraph Avenue to San Pablo Avenue will be prohibited on Tuesday April 12 and Wednesday April 13. The asphalt roadway will be resurfaced on those two days.
Please remember the surrounding businesses are open during construction. Please support Oakland's local businesses, especially during this construction period. While you are there, be sure to abide by the posted signs and use the designated crosswalks at 14th Street, 15th Street, and 17th Street.
Latham Square Construction Update (April 8, 2016)
The Latham Square project anticipates substantial completion around the beginning of June and final completion around June 30, 2016. “Substantial Completion” means that the majority of the site sidewalks, plaza area, crosswalks, and vehicular travel lanes should be open to the public. Please keep in mind that these are approximate dates and are weather dependent. Click here to see the latest two week construction schedule.
The intersection at Telegraph Avenue and 16th Street was reopened last week. Vehicles can once again access 16th Street from Telegraph Avenue.
The asphalt roadway on 16th Street from Telegraph Avenue to San Pablo Avenue will be resurfaced next Tuesday and Wednesday (April 12 and 13). Parking will be prohibited on both sides of 16th Street during those two days.
There is ongoing construction at the corner of 15th Street and Broadway and the corner of 17th Street and Telegraph Avenue to install new sidewalk bulbouts, access ramps, and traffic signals. These bulbout improvements will be completed in the next couple of weeks and the traffic signals and poles will be installed around late May/early June.
Installation of a median in Broadway between 15th Street and 17th Street will begin in late April/early May.
The City has worked closely with local stakeholders on the Latham Square plaza design. Outreach activities included: over 25 individual meetings with local businesses, property owners, residents and other stakeholders; public presentations to the Oakland Chamber of Commerce and Oakland Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee; and five community meetings. The feedback gathered from the outreach and the pilot plaza (see below) played a critical role in the design of the permanent plaza.
- In 2007, the City Council approved a new intersection configuration/design at Broadway & Telegraph Avenue, and Telegraph from 15th Street to 20th Street. See the Inner Telegraph Concept Design.
- In 2008, the City received a $9.9 million Proposition 1C state grant for streetscape improvements in the downtown/uptown areas.
- In August of 2012, the City began exploring ways to improve and expand Latham Square. This resulted in the idea of a “pilot” project (see below).
- A community design workshop for the Pilot Plaza was held on February 23, 2013.
- In May of 2013, the City Council approved the Pilot Plaza.
- In June of 2013, the conceptual phase of the new re-design of Latham square began.
- Pilot Plaza opening was held August 16, 2013.
- Community Meeting #1 was held September 14, 2013.
- The first Plaza PopUpHood event was held October 12, 2013.
- Community Meeting #2 was held November 20, 2013.
- City Council Meeting was held on January 7, 2014 and approved preliminary design.
- Community Meeting #3 was held January 30, 2014.
- Community Meeting #4 was held May 8, 2014.
- Community Meeting #5 was held June 12, 2014.
- A Tree Removal Permit Application was approved on August 19, 2014 for seven trees that will be removed and replaced by 14 trees.
- In March of 2015, the City Council awarded the Latham Square Streetscape Improvements construction contract. See the Site Rendering.
Summary of Permanent Latham Square Plaza Project Community Meetings
Permanent Latham Square Plaza Project
- Enhancing existing and attracting new business
- Designing roadways and intersections with all modes and safety in mind
- Creating a larger functional plaza space for daily use and special events
- Highlighting and restoring the Latham Square fountain
- Incorporating the latest in storm water systems design
- Retaining and improving on the existing landscaping and trees as well as the important historical aspects of the square
Latham Square Pilot Plaza Project
- Pilot Project Design Details
- Pilot Plaza Legislation (Report, Resolution & Videos)
- Pilot Project Introductory Presentation
- Stakeholder Design Meeting Presentation
- See the Downtown Oakland Association's Latham Square website for information on programmed events
For more information or questions, please contact:
Nick Cartagena, P.E., T.E.
Oakland Public Works, Bureau of Engineering & Construction
Transportation Planning & Funding
TTY: (510) 238-3254