Our Upcoming Events
Latham Square Project
Latham Square is a prominent and architecturally important intersection in the City of Oakland:
- Located at the intersection of two of the most significant streets in Oakland (Telegraph Avenue & Broadway)
- Gateway to the emerging Uptown neighborhood and entertainment district
- Historically significant role in transit history as the hub of major transit lines connecting Richmond and Berkeley
- Flanked by the Rotunda and Cathedral buildings, two of the best local examples of early 20th century architecture
- History Boards: See Latham Square through the ages!
The City has worked closely with local stakeholders on the plaza design. Outreach activities included: over 25 individual meetings with local businesses, property owners, residents and other stakeholders; and public presentations to the Oakland Chamber of Commerce and Oakland Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee. The outreach played a critical role in the design of the pilot. One clear finding is that the plaza needs planned activities to remain a vibrant and attractive space. Based on the results of the design process and community interest, Oakland City Council passed a Resolution in May 2013 authorizing the pilot project (see the Report, Resolution & Videos).
The City has held various community meetings and events since then to hear stakeholders’ thoughts and comments.
- In 2007, the City Council approved a new intersection configuration/design at Broadway & Telegraph Avenue, and Telegraph from 15th Street to 20th Street. See the Inner Telegraph Concept Design.
- In 2008, the City received a $9.9 million Proposition 1C state grant for streetscape improvements in the downtown/uptown areas.
- In August of 2012, the City began exploring ways to improve and expand Latham Square. This resulted in the idea of a “pilot” project (see below).
- A community design workshop for the Pilot Plaza was held on February 23, 2013.
- In May of 2013, the City Council approved the Pilot Plaza.
- In June of 2013, the conceptual phase of the new re-design of Latham square began.
- Pilot Plaza opening was held August 16, 2013.
- Community Meeting #1 was held September 14, 2013.
- The first Plaza PopUpHood event was held October 12, 2013.
- Community Meeting #2 was held November 20, 2013.
- City Council Meeting was held on January 7, 2013 and approved preliminary design.
- Community Meeting #3 was held January 30, 2014.
- Community Meeting #4 was held May 8, 2014.
- Community Meeting #5 was held June 12, 2014.
Permanent Latham Square Plaza Project
- Enhancing existing and attracting new business
- Designing roadways and intersections with all modes and safety in mind
- Creating a larger functional plaza space for daily use and special events
- Highlighting and restoring the Latham Square fountain
- Incorporating the latest in storm water systems design
- Retaining and improving on the existing landscaping and trees as well as the important historical aspects of the square
Latham Square Pilot Plaza Project
- Pilot Project Design Details
- Pilot Plaza Legislation (Report, Resolution & Videos)
- Pilot Project Introductory Presentation
- Stakeholder Design Meeting Presentation
- See the Downtown Oakland Association's Latham Square website for information on programmed events