Our Upcoming Events
The City of Oakland archives building plans and original permits issued for properties in Oakland.
To Request Plans or Original Permits
- Submit a "Plan/Permit Retrieval Request" form available at this site. Include the street address and permit number. If permit number is unknown please contact the Department of Planning and Building, Building Services Division at 510-238-3606
- City staff will determine if the plan or permit is recorded as being in our permanent archives. NOTE: The City is not required to keep all plans. For example, Section 19850 of the Health and Safety Code exempts a jurisdiction from retaining plans for single family homes that are less than three stories. Nor is it required to keep original paper copies of all permits issued by the City.
- If the plan or permit is available in our archives, a fee of $34.00 (plus $5.02 Records Management and Technology Enhancement fees) for a total of $39.02 will be charged for each plan or permit requested. This fee covers the City's cost to retrieve the documents from our archive library. If the plan or permit is recorded as being in our archives, you will be notified to contact our Cashier to pay a total fee of $39.02 for the retrieval.
- Documents are usually delivered by the end of the next working day after payment is received. Staff will contact the requester listed on the "Plan/Permit Retrieval Request" form when the plan or permit is available.
To View a Plan or Permit
- Neither plans nor permits are available for viewing via the Internet. Come to Building Services and tell the staff on duty that you have been notified that the plan or permit you requested has been delivered. Our office hours are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, except Wednesdays when we open at 9:30 am. Please check the City’s website for holidays when City offices are closed.
- Staff will ask you for a form of your identification (e.g., Driver License) and will bring the document to the counter. A viewing table is available in the lobby. Documents cannot be removed from the Permit Center, nor can plans be traced or photographed. When you have finished reviewing the document, return it to the Information Station and retrieve your identification.
To Have Copies of Plans Made
(CA Health and Safety Code Sections 19850-19853)
- Building plans are initially available for viewing only. The plan is the property of the Professional(s) who stamped the plans. A plan cannot be duplicated in whole or in part unless letters authorizing the duplication are submitted to Building Services by both the owner of the building and the Professional(s) stamping the plans. The authorization letters must be original, not a copy.
- If the authorization of the Professional(s) or owner cannot be obtained, contact Building Services at 510.238.3606 for assistance. Owners must present proof of ownership (Grant Deed or other documentation from Alameda County which serves as proof of ownership).
- The requester must make arrangements directly with an authorized blueprint company for copying services. The blueprint company will pick-up the original plan, duplicate it, and return it to Building Services. You may make arrangements with the blueprint company for your copies to be delivered to you. See below for authorized blueprint companies.
- Original authorization letters must be submitted prior to the release of plans to a blueprint company.
Authorized companies that provide duplicating services:
2327 Union Street
2210 Magnolia Street
|East Bay Blueprint & Supply Co.|
1745 - 14th Avenue
|BPS Reprographic Services|
1700 Jefferson Street