Our Upcoming Events
Mission & Goals
Produce sustainable development that embraces the three principles of environment, economy and equity to residents, workers, businesses and property owners through the implementation of projects, programs and the provision of services in order to improve the physical landscape and economic environment of the Oakland Community.
- Promote sustainable development that embraces the three principles of environment, economy and equity through green building practices, economic development strategies, education, community participation, smart growth, and recycling efforts.
- Build on the new residential housing successes by continuing to attract new residents, focusing efforts on retail and mixed use projects.
- Promote quality affordable housing citywide through rehabilitation, construction, homebuyer assistance, code enforcement, enhanced community services, and the completion of a citywide affordable housing strategy.
- Leverage redevelopment and development activities through coordination with other departments' programs and projects; facilitate redevelopment through strategic planning and public/private partnerships, while balancing competing demands for housing, industrial, and retail uses, including completing the revisions to the City's industrial lands policies.
- Enable Oakland residents to live and work in the City through the delivery of business services that create and retain quality jobs and through the delivery of workforce development programs that improve the skills and employability of youths and adults.
- Continue to increase overall effectiveness of code enforcement through establishing clear priorities, fostering better coordination with City departments, and promoting high property maintenance standards with community partners.
- Enhance existing revenue streams through economic development, better technology, information, and registration of vendors resulting in increased sales tax, property tax, collection of business licenses and building permit fees; supplement funds for capital projects and infrastructure through park and dedication fees, public service impact fees, and traffic impact fees on new development; leverage existing resources by seeking grants and enhancing volunteerism and sponsorship opportunities.
- Provide internal and external customer service that is responsive, timely, and accurate.
- Streamline processes to deliver results while including appropriate community involvement. Improve communication with residential and business communities to enhance knowledge of and access to services.
- Improve livability through clean, well-maintained and accessible streets, sidewalks, parks, facilities and trees; develop a strategic, well-planned and efficient capital improvement program to meet the current and future needs of our neighborhoods.