Our Upcoming Events
2016-2021 Local Hazard
Mitigation Plan Update
The City has adopted the 2016-2021 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan, after a public process that included four informational workshops in March and April, in different neighborhoods of the City, to inform residents of the risks from natural hazards, such as earthquake, fire or flooding (see Media Release). The City used these workshops, and an online survey to learn about the public's priorities for how to reduce the effects of those natural hazards ("mitigations"). Public hearings were held in May, with a final City Council hearing on June 7th. The Plan can be reviewed by clicking here.
A hazard mitigation plan identifies the hazards a community or region faces, assesses their vulnerability to the hazards and identifies specific actions that can be taken to reduce the risk from the hazards. The Federal Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 outlines a process which cities, counties, and special districts can follow to develop a Local Hazard Mitigation Plan. Development of this plan is a requirement for certain pre-and post-disaster funding from CalOES and FEMA.
The City has a parallel, but separate initiative, called "Resilient Oakland." Click here to learn more about Resilient Oakland.
The City will annually report to the City Council on progress towards its hazard mitigation goals (June, 2017). Staff is available to attend your community meeting to discuss the City's emergency planning, hazards mitigation and resiliency efforts. For future announcements, please subscribe to the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update email distribution list by clicking the "subscribe for updates" link above right.
Upcoming Meetings and Meeting Materials
Ways to Participate
Ways to stay informed in the Local Hazard Mitigation Planning process, after adoption:
- Subscribe to the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update email distribution list. Click the "subscribe for updates" link above.
- Call (510) 238-3550 to leave a comment, or to request a staff presentation at a community meeting
- Send written comments by
- Email to email@example.com
- USPS to City of Oakland, Attn: Devan Reiff, Strategic Planning Division, 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite 3315, Oakland CA, 94612
- Fax to (510) 238-6538
Past Meetings and Meeting Materials
|Previous Meetings||Date/Time/Location||Meeting Materials|
|City Council adoption hearing||June 7, 2016, 6:30 pm / Hearing Room 1, Oakland City Hall||Click here to read the City Council agenda report, adoption ordinance, and review the May 13, 2016 LHMP (Exhibit A).|
|City Council Public Safety Committee||May 24, 2016, 6 pm / Hearing Room 1, Oakland City Hall||Click here to read the City Council agenda report, adoption ordinance, and review the May 13, 2016 LHMP (Exhibit A).|
|City Council Community & Economic Development Committee hearing||May 24, 2016, 1:30 pm / Hearing Room 1, City Hall||Click here to read the City Council agenda report, adoption ordinance, and review the May 13, 2016 LHMP (Exhibit A).|
|City Planning Commission||May 4, 2016, 6 pm / Hearing Room 1, Oakland City Hall||Click here to read staff report.|
|Community Workshop (West Oakland); co-hosted by Council President Lynette Gibson-McElhaney||April 25, 2016 / 6:30-8:30 p.m. West Oakland Senior Center, 1721 Adeline Street|
|Community Workshop (North Oakland); co-hosted by Councilmember Dan Kalb||April 18, 2016 / 6:30-8:30 p.m. Faith Presbyterian Church, 49th Street||Presentation|
|Community Workshop (East Oakland)||March 16, 2016 / 6-8 p.m. / Oakland Public Library, 81st Avenue Branch||Presentation.|
|Community Workshop (Oakland Hills)||March 3, 2016 / 6-8 p.m. / East Bay Regional Parks Trudeau Center, 11500 Skyline Blvd.|
Documents and Resources
2016-2021 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan
1. Read the Plan here: 2016-2021 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan.
2. Other resources:
- Resilient Oakland
- City of Oakland Emergency Management Services Division of the Oakland Fire Department
- Communities of Oakland Responding to Emergencies (CORE)
- Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) Adapting to Rising Tides
- Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) Regional Resilience Program
Previous Hazard Mitigation Plans
2010-2015 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan
On March 20, 2012, the City of Oakland adopted an update for 2010-2015 to its local hazard mitigation plan. This plan explains to residents, businesses and regulatory agencies what Oakland is doing to increase our resiliency to natural hazards, such as earthquake, flood, wildfire.
- CEQA Addendum to the 2010-2015 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Planning Commission (February 1, 2012) staff report
- City Council Public Safety Committee (March 13, 2012) agenda report
- City Council (March 20, 2012) agenda report and adopted resolution
2005-2010 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan
State of California Assembly Bill 2140 (requires the preparation of a Local Hazard Mitigation Plan)