Our Upcoming Events
2016 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update
The City has begun a public process to prepare the 2016 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan. The City will host several public informational workshops in late February and early March in different neighborhoods of the City, to inform residents of the risks from natural hazards, such as earthquake, fire, or flooding. The City will use these workshops and a survey to hear from the public about priorities for how to reduce the effects of those natural hazards. Public hearings will follow the community workshops, with a final City Council hearing in the Spring.
The City has a parallel, but separate initiative, called "Resilient Oakland" which can be reviewed, here:
Check back on this website for more details, which will be posted, as they become available. Get on the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update email distribution list: Click the "subscribe for updates" link below to receive upcoming meeting notices and other information via email.
What is Hazard Mitigation?
Hazard mitigation is any sustained action taken to reduce or eliminate the long-term risk to human life and property from hazards, such as fire, earthquake or flood. Hazard mitigation is most effective when a long-term plan is developed before a disaster occurs. A hazard mitigation plan identifies the hazards a community or region faces, assesses their vulnerability to the hazards and identifies specific actions that can be taken to reduce the risk from the hazards. The Federal Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 outlines a process which cities, counties, and special districts can follow to develop a Local Hazard Mitigation Plan. Development of this plan is a requirement for certain pre-and post-disaster funding from CalOES and FEMA.
Ways to Participate
There are many ways to stay informed and participate in the Local Hazard Mitigation Planning process:
- Look for notices of upcoming public meetings and related information below.
- Get on the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update email distribution list. Click the "subscribe for updates" link above to receive upcoming meeting notices and other information via email.
- Provide us with your written comments via email to email@example.com; by U.S. Mail to: City of Oakland, Attn: Devan Reiff, Strategic Planning Division, 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite 3315, Oakland CA, 94612; or by fax to (510) 238-6538.
- Call us with questions or comments at contact by phone: (510) 238-3550
Meetings and Meeting Materials
|Upcoming Meetings||Date/Time/Location||Meeting Materials|
|Community Workshop #1 (Fruitvale)||February 23, 2016 / 6-8 p.m. / Oakland Public Library, Cesar Chavez Branch, 3301 East 12th Street, Suite 271||Will be posted when available. Spanish-language interpretation will be available.|
|Community Workshop #2 (East Oakland)||February 25, 2016 / 6-8 p.m. / Oakland Public Library, 81st Avenue Branch, 1021 81st Avenue, 2nd floor community room||Will be posted when available|
|Community Workshop #3 (Oakland Hills)||March 3, 2016 / 6-8 p.m. / East Bay Regional Parks Trudeau Center, 11500 Skyline Blvd.||Will be posted when available|
|Community Workshop #4 (West Oakland)||to be scheduled||Will be posted when available|
|Community Workshop #5 (North Oakland)||to be scheduled||Will be posted when available|
To be scheduled
|City Council Public Safety Committee|
To be scheduled
|City Council adoption hearing|
To be scheduled
Supporting Links, Materials & Documents
On March 20, 2012, the City of Oakland adopted an update for 2010-2015 to its local hazard mitigation plan. This plan explains to residents, businesses and regulatory agencies what Oakland is doing to increase our resiliency to natural hazards, such as earthquake, flood, wildfire.
- CEQA Addendum to the 2010-2015 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Planning Commission (February 1, 2012) staff report
- City Council Public Safety Committee (March 13, 2012) agenda report
- City Council (March 20, 2012) agenda report and adopted resolution
State of California Assembly Bill 2140 (requires the preparation of a Local Hazard Mitigation Plan)