Our Upcoming Events
Oakland's Local Hazard Mitigation Plan -- Adopted
On March 20, 2012, the City of Oakland adopted an update for 2010-2015 to its local hazard mitigation plan. This plan explains to residents, businesses and regulatory agencies what Oakland is doing to increase our resiliency to natural hazards, such as earthquake, flood, wildfire. “Hazard Mitigation” is defined by ABAG as:
Hazard mitigation is any sustained action taken to reduce or eliminate the long-term risk to human life and property from hazards. Hazard mitigation is most effective when a long-term plan is developed before a disaster occurs. A hazard mitigation plan identifies the hazards a community or region faces, assesses their vulnerability to the hazards and identifies specific actions that can be taken to reduce the risk from the hazards. The Federal Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 (DMA 2000) outlines a process which cities, counties, and special districts can follow to develop a Local Hazard Mitigation Plan. Development of this plan is a requirement for certain benefits from CalEMA and FEMA.
Oakland’s updated local hazard mitigation plan will be an annex (supplement) to the regional plan ABAG prepared entitled "Taming Natural Disasters: Multi-Jurisdictional Local Hazard Mitigation Plan for the San Francisco Bay Area.” Click here to read the ABAG regional plan.
Public hearings to adopt the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan will soon be held. Please review the draft report linked to below and attend the public hearings. Help us craft a plan that meets all of Oakland's needs by providing your comments and suggestions to the decision-making bodies which are considering the Plan.
Ways to Participate
There are many ways to stay informed and participate in the Local Hazard Mitigation Planning process:
- Look for notices of upcoming public meetings and related information below.
- Get on the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update email distribution list. Click here to subscribe to receive upcoming meeting notices and other information via email.
- Provide us with your written comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include "Local Hazard Mitigation Plan" in the subject line); by U.S. Mail to: City of Oakland, Attn: Devan Reiff, Strategic Planning Division, 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite 33154, Oakland CA, 94612; or by fax to (510) 238-6538.
- Call us with questions or comments at contact by phone: (510) 238-3550 or the Strategic Planning Message Line at (510) 238-7299.
Meetings and Meeting Materials
|Upcoming Meetings||Date/Time/Location||Meeting Materials|
February 1, 2012, 6:00 pm
|Staff Report + CEQA addendum|
|City Council Public Safety Committee|
March 13, 2012, 5:30 pm
|Staff Report and Proposed Resolution|
|City Council adoption hearing||March 20, 2012, 6:30 pm, Council Chambers, City Hall, One Frank H. Ogawa Plaza||Staff Report and Adopted Resolution|
Supporting Links, Materials & Documents
- Local Hazard Mitigation Plan 2010-2015
1. CEQA Addendum
- Local Hazard Mitigation Plan 2005-2010
- City of Oakland's 2004 Safety Element
- State of California Assembly Bill 2140 (requires the preparation of a Local Hazard Mitigation Plan)
- City of Oakland's Office of Emergency Services
- City of Oakland's CORE (Citizens of Oakland Respond to Emergencies) program
- Association of Bay Area Governments' (ABAGs') Regional Hazard Mitigation Planning