Our Upcoming Events
The OPD Vehicle Enforcement Unit works to improve Oakland’s neighborhoods and enhance Oakland’s physical assets by addressing the problems of abandoned vehicles on public and private property and aggressively pursuing parking citation scofflaws.
This Vehicle Services webpage is divided into three sections:
Click here for general car- and truck-related FAQs.
Abandoned Auto / Towing
How Do I Report . . . ?
An Abandoned Vehicle Parked on a Public Street?
To report abandoned vehicles parked on the street for over 72 hours (3 days), you can:
- Call the Abandoned Auto Detail at (510) 777-8622.
- Open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Email the location, description, and license number of the vehicle, if known, to AbandonedAuto@oaklandnet.com.
An Abandoned Vehicle Parked on Private Property or a Private Street?
This is a vehicle abatement issue. Please provide us with the location, description and license plate, if known:
- Call the Vehicle Abatement Detail at (510) 777-8538 and leave a voicemail message, or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: All the Police Service Technicians in the Abandoned Auto Detail are assigned to field duty. Each morning, all messages (voicemail and email) are retrieved and distributed to the appropriate Police Service Technician for the caller’s area.
What Can I Do When My Vehicle Has Been Towed Away?
First of all, make sure that your vehicle has been towed:
- Check the Auto Plus Towing website to find out the current status of your vehicle.
- Call the Police Department Records Division at (510) 238-3021 to confirm that your vehicle has been towed.
Once you confirm that your vehicle has been towed:
- If your vehicle has been towed, you must go to the Oakland Police Department Records Kiosk on the first floor of the Police Administration Building, 455 - 7th Street (7th and Broadway), to obtain a release for your vehicle. Without a release from the Police Department, the tow company will not release your vehicle. You must go to the Police Department first.
For answers to other questions related to towing, see our Towing Fact Sheet.
Vehicle Abatement FAQs
The Vehicle Abatement Program is a program designed to abate public nuisances by removing abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative vehicles and/or vehicle parts from private and public properties, not including highways.
See our Vehicle Abatement Fact Sheet for answers to questions about the program.