Jobs & Contracts
Our Upcoming Events
The selection process for Police Officer positions with the Oakland Police Department can be long and a new experience for our applicants. To help you succeed in this process, we offer seminars and workshops. Although these events are voluntary and open to anyone, applicants are particularly encouraged to attend as they will provide you with valuable information.
OPD offers the following sessions:
- POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) Exam Workshop
- Women/Policing in Oakland Workshop
- Practice Physical Ability Test Workshop (First Saturday of each month)
- Selection Process Workshop
Scroll down to learn more about each workshop.
POST Exam Workshops
Applicants who are interested in preparing for the POST PELLET-B exam, or who have had difficulty with the exam in the past, are encouraged to attend an intensive workshop to learn how to maximally prepare for the written test.
Participants will learn how to interpret their T-scores, apply test taking strategies, and practice the grammar, spelling, vocabulary, reasoning, reading passages, and fill-in-the-blank questions that are typically used on the written test. Each person will be able to assess his or her strengths and weaknesses and will leave with several resources that will further aid him or her with studying for the test.
Registration URL: www.passingthepost.com
Webinar ID: 102-196-387
- May 14 – Thursday, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- July 12 – Sunday, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- August 12 – Wednesday, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- October 10 – Saturday, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- December 3 – Thursday, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Registration at: www.passingthepost.com
Location: Merritt College • 12500 Campus Drive, Building A room #215, Oakland, CA 94619
- June 6 - Saturday, 11:00 - 1:00 pm
Location: Police Administration Building Auditorium, 455 7th Street, Oakland
- September 12 - Saturday, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- November 7 - Saturday, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Women/Policing in Oakland Workshop -- TBD
This panel workshop will provide applicants the opportunity to speak with male and female commanders, sergeants and officers to discuss their experiences working in law enforcement. You will hear honest insights into academy life, the Department and its policies, shift work, and the dangers and rewards of police work.
Practice Physical Ability Test Workshop
Police Parking Lot
6th & Jefferson Street Under Highway 880
Oakland CA, 94607
Time: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - First Saturday of the month
- Saturday, February 7, 2015
- Saturday, March 7, 2015
- Saturday, April 4, 2015
- Saturday, May 2, 2015
- Saturday, June 6, 2015
- Saturday, July 11, 2015 (July 4 is a holiday)
- Saturday, August 1, 2015
- Saturday, September 5, 2015
- Saturday, October 3, 2015
- Saturday, November 7, 2015
- Saturday, December 5, 2015
Attendees will have an opportunity to run the actual course and get pointers on proper technique for the various stages of the test. An appointment is not required to attend this practice test.
Selection Process Workshop -- TBD
This informal workshop will help to prepare candidates to gain understanding of the POST Examination. Tips and pointers to prepare for the Oral Board will also be provided. In addition, requirements for filling out the Personal History Statement (PHS) will be discussed, as well as specific tips and pointers will be offered to help prepare applicants for a career in law enforcement.