Our Upcoming Events
Support Operations Division
The Support Operations Division is led by Captain Anthony Toribio. Support Operations consists of:
Under the command of Lieutenant Nishant Joshi, the Special Operations Section provides the Department with expertise, selection processes, training and specialized equipment. Special Operations coordinates a variety of specialized units within the Department, including:
- Air Support Unit - Provides aerial surveillance to assist in ground searches, high-speed vehicle pursuits, foot chases, and large area searches and also assists the Oakland Fire Department by locating unreported fires.
- Alcoholic Beverage Action Team - Licenses, inspects and conducts enforcement operations at all alcohol and tobacco establishments within the City; responds to citizen complaints regarding nuisance bars and stores.
- Canine Program - Staffs, trains, and equips the Department’s police canines (patrol canines and narcotic detection canines) to enhance the safety of officers and citizens.
- Marine Program - Provides security for the Estuary and Port of Oakland facilities, conducting critical infrastructure inspections, underwater searches with side-scan sonar, and underwater ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) searches.
- Reserve Program - Provides volunteer support to the Department by supplementing full-time patrol officers in BFO 1 and BFO 2 and in the Marine Program.
- Special Events Unit - Works with professional sports and entertainment/festival organizations to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for everyone who attends and/or participates. In general, any organized activity that impacts City services, or that uses/affects public property, public facilities, sidewalks, or street areas is considered a special event and requires a permit (go to the Special Events Services page for more details).
- Tactical Operations Team Program - Conducts tactical interventions during critical and high-risk incidents or when specially trained personnel or equipment are required (e.g., barricaded suspects, hostage rescue, mobile intercepts, high risk search/arrest warrants, and crowd control).
Under the command of Lt. Peter Lau, the Traffic Operations Section (TOS) focuses on vehicle enforcement and traffic safety. The TOS provides support to area commanders through traffic enforcement (motor vehicle violations and DUI checkpoints), traffic investigations, and vehicle abatement. The TOS receives traffic concerns from a variety of sources, including community members, accident data, and officer observations. In 2012, the City’s Parking Enforcement was moved to Departmental authority and placed under the Traffic Operations Section.