Our Upcoming Events
Our Mission, Vision, and Values
Oakland Police Department Mission
The Mission of the Oakland Police Department is to provide the people of Oakland an environment where they can live, work, play, and thrive free from crime and the fear of crime.
A vision sees beyond what is to what could be . . .
- Oakland is one of the safest large cities in California
- OPD provides high quality services
- OPD is trusted, respected, and valued
- The Oakland community and OPD work together to solve concerns and issues
- OPD is an effective organization
Oakland Is One of the Safest Large Cities in California – Both in Reality and Perception
- Focus proactive violence suppression and enforcement units and efforts on gangs, drugs, and guns.
- Expand and strengthen partnerships and coordination efforts with law enforcement agencies in the region working to suppress violence and reduce crime.
- Strengthen OPD’s intelligence collection and analysis capability to target violent crime in Oakland.
- Expand and strengthen partnerships and coordination efforts with policy decision makers and organizations working to prevent and reduce violence and crime in Oakland.
- Develop and implement innovative and effective approaches to reducing violence and crime in Oakland working with the academic and research community.
The Oakland Police Department Provides High Quality Services in a Community Driven and Customer Friendly Manner
- Improve OPD’s call taking and dispatch capability and performance.
- Provide timely response to calls for service and effective police presence in neighborhoods.
- Improve the quality and effectiveness of criminal investigations.
The Oakland Police Department is Trusted, Respected, and Valued by Those It Serves
- Accelerate the pace of accomplishment of the requirements of the Negotiated Settlement Agreement / MOU.
- Increase the level of openness and accessibility of OPD and OPD Personnel.
- Increase the level of positive interaction between the Oakland Police Department and the community.
The Oakland Community and the Oakland Police Department Work Together to Solve Community and Neighborhood Concerns and Issues
- Effectively implement community policing in Oakland as defined by current policies and requirements.
- Work with Members of the community to develop and implement an expanded community policing model in Oakland based on best practices.
The Oakland Police Department is an Effective Organization, Providing a Supportive and Positive Work Environment for Its Employees
- Provide clear direction and open communication within OPD, and encourage teamwork and shared accomplishment.
- Enhance the skills, capabilities, and professional development of OPD Employees.
- Enhance tactical policies, procedures, skills, capabilities, and practices.
- Effectively use information and technology to improve OPD management, operations, and performance.
- Effectively plan and manage essential OPD facilities and equipment.
Oakland Police Department Values
Fairness: We promote accountability and transparency.
Integrity: We embrace honesty and professionalism.
Respect: We treat the community and each other with dignity.
Service: We serve the community with courage and honor.
Teamwork: We celebrate Oakland’s diversity through partnerships.