Chief of Police
Our Upcoming Events
Public Records Requests
About Public Records
The Oakland Police Department is committed to making information available to the public when requested. However, it will not release information that interferes with an individual’s right to privacy, or when the release of information may jeopardize the safety of an individual or the successful completion of a law enforcement investigation.
All requests will be date/time stamped as received on the first Records Division business day after the request has been submitted.
Within 10 calendar days of the date/time stamped, you will be told whether your request will be approved, in whole or in part. In unusual circumstances, the time limit may be extended by written notice to the person making the request, setting forth the reasons for the extension and the date on which a determination is expected to be made.
What Kinds of Records Are Public Records?
Public records include:
- Crime reports
- Department publications
- Employment contracts
- Offense reports
- Traffic accident reports
- Traffic enforcement incidents
- Training records
How to Request a Public Record
You may request public records from the Oakland Police Department on-line, in person, or by mail.
- Copy the Public Records request form to your computer
- Complete and save the form
- Note: If you are not using Internet Explorer and the form cannot be filled out electronically, look for these words at the top: "This PDF document contains forms. The filling of form fields is not supported."
- Click on the box (Open With Different Viewer) and then select Open with Adobe Reader (default) to open an interactive form.
- Email it to OPDPublicRecordsRequest@oaklandnet.com.
Obtain a Public Records request form by either:
- Downloading it (get Acrobat Reader free) or picking up a copy in person at the Police Administration Building Patrol Desk on the first floor.
- Bring the completed form to the OPD Records Division Kiosk on the first floor of the PAB. The Records Kiosk is open to the public from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm Monday through Friday and from 8:00 am until noon on Saturday and Sunday.
Public Records Request Coordinator
Oakland Police Department
455 7th Street, Room 306
Oakland, CA 94607
Contact Information for Assistance
If you need additional assistance with a Public Records request, please contact the Public Records Request Coordinator: (510) 238-7143.
Quick Reference Links
- Download a Public Records request form
- By phone: (510) 238-7143
- Email: OPDPublicRecordsRequest@oaklandnet.com
- California Public Records Act
- City of Oakland Sunshine Ordinance