Our Upcoming Events
Underground Storage Tanks
The purpose of this program is to ensure that hazardous materials stored in underground tanks are not released into the groundwater and/or the environment. Specialists from the County and cities inspect underground storage tanks (USTs), monitoring equipment, and inventory records of UST systems to ensure that the systems comply with applicable laws and regulations
UST Owner/Operator Responsibilities
- Obtain a Permit to Operate a UST system and pay an annual fee to operate USTs used to store hazardous substances.
- Comply with construction and monitoring requirements for new USTs.
- Install and operate monitoring systems for existing USTs.
- Report and cleanup all unauthorized releases from USTs.
- Ensure that each tank in use meets the 1998 upgrade requirements.
Repair, Removal and Installation of UST's
CUPA staff oversees the installation, repair and removal of USTs through the plan check process. Plan submittal is required for the following activities:
- New installations
- Piping repair/upgrade
- Cathodic protection
- Bladder insertions
- Boring for monitoring wells
- Sump installations
- Dispenser containment modifications/installations
- Replacement installation of both leak detection monitoring box and probes
- Overfill prevention
- Spill containment
- Positive shut down device