Our Upcoming Events
Emergency Preparedness Information
The Oakland Fire Department, Office of Emergency Services is dedicated to planning for emergencies in order to preserve the well-being of our entire community. Explore the links and sections below for information about how we are working with various members of our community to be prepared for disasters.
- For individual/family preparedness and pet preparedness please visit the CORE section of this website.
- For our community partnership and preparedness program, please visit the Learn, Lead, Lift section of this website.
Business Emergency Preparedness
The business community can play an important role in disaster response and recovery - but only if your company survives a major emergency and can organize its efforts in advance.
The Oakland Fire Department, Office of Emergency Services is reaching out to local merchants to encourage and assist with business preparedness. We are working through a number of business groups and organizations including the Oakland Chamber of Commerce and the Oakland Merchant Leadership Forum. We can provide your business with guidance on continuity planning, testing your company's emergency response plans and identifying gaps, and providing your employees - your business' most valuable assets - with a sense of security and comfort through emergency planning.
Our goal is to give Oakland’s small business owners common sense measures to help prepare for any type of disaster. We are accomplishing this through seminars where information and materials are provided to business owners to:
- Help develop a strategy to minimize damage and lost time following a disaster.
- Help identify their risks.
- Help prioritize critical business functions and determine how quickly they must be recovered.
- Determine alternative operational locations if their primary location is not available.
Let us help you plan today so your business will survive tomorrow. If you are interested in receiving training to equip your company and your employees to successfully and efficiently recover from a disaster, please contact our office at (510) 238-3938.
Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) play an enormously important role in a community before, during and after an incident.
- CBOs provide vital support services to support preparedness, response and recovery efforts through sheltering, emergency food supply, counseling and other services.
- CBOs often provide specialized services that help individuals with access and functional needs, including those with disabilities
- It is critical for CBOs to have relationships with emergency services to collaborate with responders, local government and other agencies and organizations.
How can CBOs be better prepared for an emergency?
As a community-based organization, you play a very important role in the communities that you serve.
- Emergency Plan. In the event of an emergency, it is important for you to have an emergency plan in place, that will help you stay open and continue to provide service to your customers or clients. Customers’ needs may be more critical during an emergency.
- Network. By networking with other CBOs within the City of Oakland before and after disaster, you are in a position to connect with similar agencies for support.
How can CBOs promote preparedness among its customers and clients?
CBOs are in an ideal position to assist with local preparedness by collaborating with existing programs, like Oakland CORE, to promote preparedness in the neighborhoods they serve. Two ways CBOs can promote preparedness among their customers and clients:
- Promote personal and household preparedness. Understand the importance of preparedness and distribute material to customers and clients.
- Participate with the Oakland CORE program and assign a key staff person to have the responsibility for linking customers and clients to this or similar programs.
It takes everyone working together to make our communities safer and more disaster resilient.
Hazard-Specific Preparedness Tips
The following information is provided to assist community members with preparing for various types of emergencies. Click on the links below to download hazard-specific emergency preparedness tips.
Natural and Human-Caused Disasters
Earthquakes (information coming soon)
Hazardous Materials Incidents (information coming soon)
Terrorism (information coming soon)
Public Health Emergencies
West Nile Virus (information coming soon)
To create a systematic mechanism to identify people who may require special assistance in the event of a disaster. The first component of this system is to create a voluntary,confidential and secure database of frail senior citizens and persons with disabilities, within the 9-1-1 Computer AidedDispatch System (CAD). This voluntary registry will provide immediate information to fire, medical and law enforcement;9-1-1 emergency response personnel.
The Goals of the Oakland 9-1-1 Disaster Registry for Seniors and Disabled Persons is to create and maintain a 24 hour accessible database of highly vulnerable populations in the City of Oakland, in order to better assist dispatchers and firefighters responding to 9-1-1 calls and provide vital, life safety information to emergency first responders.
For more information contact the Communications Division at: (510) 238-3796