Our Upcoming Events
The City of Oakland is committed to the well being of its employees and offers comprehensive health and wellness services - and an array of other benefits.
The Employee Benefits page summarizes the benefits a City employee may receive. Please use this as a general reference. We encourage you to contact a benefits representative if you have any questions.
Full-time and permanent part-time employees of the City of Oakland are required to participate in the Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS).
Monthly employee contribution: 8% of pre-tax wages.
Employees contribute a fixed 8% of their pre-tax wages.
What will my benefit amount be when I retire?
Retirement benefits are calculated using the employee's age, years of service and the highest 12 consecutive months’ salary while in the PERS system or other reciprocal agency.
What happens to my PERS benefits if I leave the City?
Portions of your retirement benefits are portable: upon separation from City service, funds may be rolled over into a qualified Individual Retirement Account (IRA). If you leave the City to work for another jurisdiction that also participates in CalPERS, your retirement benefit will continue.
- Oakland Municipal Employees' Retirement System Board (OMERS)
- Police & Fire Retirement System Board (PFRS)
- PERS Disability Retirement Committee
FOR BENEFITS - Benefits Dept. Fax: (510) 238-6560:
GLORIA ALCALA, Benefits Analyst
• FMLA/Leave Administration
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Court Ordered Medical Processing
• Disability Insurance Administration (SDI, Short and Long Term)
• Life Insurance
Tel: (510) 238-7445 E-mail: GAlcala@oaklandnet.com
DENISE CARTER, Benefits Representative
• Medical Insurance
• Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)
• Medical Care Assistance Program (MCAP)
• Commuter Check / Parking Benefits
• Guaranteed Ride Home
Tel: (510) 238-7446 E-mail: DCollier@oaklandnet.com
EBONY BRUNSON, Benefits Representative
• Deferred Compensation Administration
• Unemployment Compensation
• Medical Insurance – (Sworn)
• Dental Insurance – (Sworn)
• Non-PERS Kaiser
Tel: (510) 238-6769 E-mail: EBrunson@oaklandnet.com
MIKE MCGHEE, On-Site Hartford Representative
(510) 238-6485 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR RETIREMENT - Retirement Dept. Fax: (510) 238-7129):
CAROL KOLENDA, Benefits Representative
• Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS)
Tel: (510) 238-6480 E-mail: CKolenda@oaklandnet.com
NHAN HUA, Benefits Representative
• CalPERS Retirement Liaison
• CalPERS Safety Disability Retirement Liaison
• COBRA Administration
• Retiree Quarterly Medical Reimbursement
Tel: (510) 238-6479 E-mail: NHua@oaklandnet.com
DAVID LOW, Administrative Assistant, Retirement Systems
Staff Support and Agenda Management for:
• CalPERS Safety Disability Retirement
Tel: (510) 238-7295 E-mail: DLow@oaklandnet.com
CITY OF OAKLAND
Telephone: (510) 238-3987