Our Upcoming Events
Welcome to the Department of Human Resources Management
We welcome you to the City of Oakland, Department of Human Resources Management (DHRM) home page. DHRM administers the City’s civil service system, employee benefit programs, labor agreements, and ensures equal employment opportunities for applicants and employees of the City.
Information is available on this site on a variety of topics including employment opportunities, how to apply for a City job, job/classification descriptions, salary ranges for City jobs, labor agreements (MOUs), and the City’s Civil Service Rules. Employee benefit information and related data that can be used for survey purposes is also available here.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need information that is not found on our website by utilizing the resources listed under “Contact Us”.
The City of Oakland Human Resource Department recruits, develops and maintains the most highly qualified, diverse workforce to serve the people of Oakland. New jobs are posted to the website every Monday, to see current opportunities, visit out Employment Opportunities page.
Civil Service Board
The Civil Service Board is the body responsible for the enforcement of the City’s personnel system. For more information about the Board, and to download meeting agendas and minutes, visit the Civil Service Board page.
- Counseling Visits: Three in-person counseling visits per incident with a licensed clinician. These visits can address personal issues such as: stress, marital & family problems, emotional problems, alcohol & drug dependency, relationships, work-related difficulties, psychiatric disorders, and more.
- Substance Abuse Treatment: Claremont EAP will help to access City and/or Health Plan Benefits and provide support and monitoring.
- Legal Consultation: Free consultations provided (one consultation, up to 30 minutes per incident, 25% discount for continuing services), referrals provided to attorneys or mediators. Legal matters include: family/domestic law, consumer/contract issues, personal injury, traffic tickets, DUI, estate planning, bankruptcy and more (not covered: employment related matters). Free Simple Will-Kits are also provided.
- Financial Services: Free telephone consultations regarding credit counseling, debt and budgeting assistance, estate planning, tax planning, retirement and college planning, as well as various investment subjects and tax issues. Free Credit Reports and review are also provided.
- Work/Life Services: Research and qualified referrals for:
- Child Care Referrals
- Elder Care Referrals
- School/College Assistance
- Adoption Assistance
- Pet Care
- Daily Living/Convenience Referrals
- Wellness Referrals
Below are links to various documents related to the City of Oakland's layoff process:
- Seniority Lists
- Seniority Point Request Form
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Seniority and Layoff