Oakland’s Summer Lunch Program delivers free and nutritious meals to children in Oakland neighborhoods.
We help children in Oakland get the nutrition they need to learn, play, and grow throughout the summer—making them better prepared to start another school year. The Summer Lunch Program encourages healthy eating habits leading to normal weight and a positive self-image.
How to become a Free Summer Lunch site (please scroll down)
To find the summer lunch program near you, please call:
· Oaklanders’ Assistance Center at 510-444-C-I-T-Y
· Alameda County Community Food Bank 1-800-870-FOOD
· Dial “211” – Eden Information & Referral
Some of the City’s many partners for the Oakland Summer Lunch Program include:
· City of Oakland Recreation Centers
· Many non-profit organizations serving children
· Faith-based organizations
· Alameda County Community Food Bank
· Oakland Unified School District
For young people in Oakland, 18 years old and younger:
NO program requirements.
Youth can drop in for a free lunch at any SFSP open site between the hours of 12:00pm – 1:00pm
How to become a FREE Summer Lunch site:
For youth serving organization:
The City of Oakland, Department of Human Services, invites eligible youth serving organizations to participate in the 2011 Oakland Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). Oakland’s SFSP, under U.S. Department of Agriculture sponsorship, delivers FREE lunch to community organizations serving youth in Oakland.
First day of the SFSP is June 17, 2013 and last day of lunch service is August 16, 2013.
Interested sites must meet the following guidelines:
· 50% or more of the children enrolled in the closest public school are eligible for free or reduced price school lunch (Give us a call and we’ll look it up for you!)
· Site must have appropriate facilities and capacity for children to eat on-site (Clean eating area, table and chairs, working refrigerator with working thermometer)
· Site must provide adequate supervision during meal-times
· Your program must run for at least 2 weeks for the minimum of 20 children or youth
· Site Supervisor and staff must attend ONE mandatory Summer Food Service Training
SFSP Training Schedule for 2013
June 19, 2013, 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. - 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), Hearing Room 3 (1st floor), Oakland 94612
June 19, 2013, 3:00p.m. – 4:30 p.m. - 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), Hearing Room 3 (1st floor), Oakland 94612
June 20, 2013, 1:30p.m. – 3:00p.m. - 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), Hearing Room 2 (1st floor), Oakland 94612
June 20, 2013, 3:00p.m. – 4:30p.m. - 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), Hearing Room 2 (1st floor), Oakland 94612
June 25, 2013, 2:30p.m. - 4:30p.m. - 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), Hearing Room 3 (1st floor), Oakland 94612
June 26, 2013, 2:30p.m. - 4:30p.m. - 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), Hearing Room 3 (1st floor), Oakland 94612
Additional trainings will be added the following week.
Please check the website for updates.
To become a FREE Summer Lunch Program site, please complete the Online Form for the Summer Food Service Program questionnaire.
For additional information, contact the Department of Human Services at 510-238-3121 or 510-238-7992, or email Carmela Chase at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oakland Summer Lunch Program
Department of Human Services
150 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite #4223
Oakland, CA 94612
USDA prohibits discrimination in the administration of its programs.
To file a complaint, write to the Administrator, Food and Nutrition Service, 3101 Park Center Dr., Alexandria, VA 22302.