Our Upcoming Events
Summer Food Service Program
Oakland’s Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) delivers free and nutritious meals to children, ages 18 and under, throughout Oakland. SFSP helps children in Oakland get the nutrition they need to learn, play, and grow throughout the summer—making them better prepared to start another school year. SFSP also encourages healthy eating habits leading to normal weight and a positive self-image.
First day of the SFSP is June 12, 2017 and last day of lunch service is August 11, 2017. Youth can drop in for a free lunch and afternoon snack at any SFSP open site between their designated hours of service, usually 12:00p.m. – 1:00p.m for lunch and 3:00 p.m. for snack. Please check with each site as their dates and times of service may vary.
To find the Summer Lunch Program near you, please call:
- Oaklanders’ Assistance Center at 510-444-C-I-T-Y
- Alameda County Community Food Bank 1-800-870-FOOD
- Dial “211” – Eden Information & Referral
How to become a FREE Summer Food Service Program site:
The City of Oakland, Department of Human Services, invites eligible youth serving organizations to participate in the 2016 Oakland Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). Oakland’s SFSP, under U.S. Department of Agriculture sponsorship, delivers FREE lunch and snacks to community organizations serving youth in Oakland.
Interested sites must meet the following guidelines:
- Appropriate facilities and capacity for children to eat on-site (clean eating area, table and chairs, working refrigerator with working thermometer)
- Adequate supervision during meal-times
- Site Supervisor and staff must attend ONE mandatory SFSP (length 1 ½ hours)
- Program must run for at least 2 weeks for the minimum of 20 children or youth
Below is the link for the SFSP online application form which is needed for each service site. Please complete the form and submit by May 31, 2017. Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted to confirm receipt of your application and further instructions. If you have any questions regarding the application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Carmela Chase at (510) 238-7992.
Training this year for any staff involved with SFSP is extremely important. SFSP protocols will be strictly enforced by the site supervisors and SFSP monitors. Please make sure to have all staff involved with SFSP attend one of the upcoming trainings to be announced.
Resources for SFSP 2017 Sites
- SFSP 2017 Training PowerPoint (The 2017 Updated Training PowerPoint coming soon)
- SFSP Flyer – English & Spanish
- SFSP Flyer – Chinese & Vietnamese
- Site Rules – English
- Site Rules – Spanish
- Site Rules – Chinese
- Site Rules – Farsi
- Non-Discrimination Statement - English
- Non-Discrimination Statement - Spanish
- Non-Discrimination Statement - Chinese
Forms for SFSP 2017 Sites
For additional information, contact Carmela Chase at 510-238-7992 or email@example.com.
Oakland Summer Food Service Program
Department of Human Services
City of Oakland
150 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite #4223
Oakland, CA 94612