Our Upcoming Events
Mission & Goals
The Human Services Department builds strong communities by enriching the quality of life for individuals and families in Oakland.
The Human Services Department enriches the quality of life for Oakland residents in a variety of ways.
- Providing first-rate programs for children, youth, seniors, and other adults through direct services, grants, and collaboration with other public and community-based agencies.
- Promoting social equity—particularly for children, youth, and seniors—by developing new resources and leveraging existing resources.
- Developing and supporting collaborations that improve community health and safety, with an emphasis on violence prevention and community building.
- Identifying, planning, and responding to community needs with appropriate policies and programs.
- Ensuring that operations and programs are run efficiently, and improving our accountability through expanded performance monitoring and evaluation
- Creating opportunities for community engagement and education through volunteerism and involvement with Boards and Commissions.
- Raising community awareness of our services by enhancing department visibility and outreach.
- Fostering staff development and recognition.
In 2002, the Department of Human Services (DHS) began developing an internal framework which articulated its key strategies and intended impact. This work is reflected in the DHS Theory of Change.