Our Upcoming Events
City of Oakland Priorities
The Mayor and the City Council each set priorities for the City. All City activities are structured to support these priorities; and the City’s FY 2009-11 Budget provides the framework through which the City’s goals and objectives are achieved.
Public Safety: Provide an adequate and uncompromised level of public safety services to Oakland residents and businesses; reduce crime and violence; engage youth in programs and services that prevent violence; and provide reentry opportunities for ex-offenders.
- Reduce crime and ensure public safety for every Oakland neighborhood by implementing a comprehensive crime prevention/reduction strategy.
Sustainable and Healthy Environment: Invest and encourage private investment in clean and renewable energy; protect and support clean environment; and give Oakland residents an opportunity to lead a healthy life, have healthy life options and make healthy choices.
- Infrastructure: Provide clean, well-maintained and accessible streets, sidewalks, facilities, amenities, parks, recreational facilities and trees.
- Sustainable City: Maximize socially and environmentally sustainable economic growth, including conserving natural resources.
- Healthcare: Provide ample programs to support the mental, physical and spiritual health of Oakland residents.
Economic Development: Foster sustainable economic growth and development for the benefit of Oakland residents and businesses.
- Develop comprehensive business attraction, retention and growth initiatives to attract green, biotech and other businesses that will result in more jobs for Oakland residents.
- Continue to develop retail space and other attractions that will draw visitors to the City of Oakland.
Community Involvement and Empowerment: Create sense of hope and empowerment among Oaklanders, especially the youth; provide Oaklanders with educational choices through the City Museum and libraries, and partnerships with the School District and other educational establishments.
- Social Equity: Encourage and support social equity for all Oakland residents.
- Youth & Seniors: Provide effective programs that will allow youth, seniors and people with disabilities to thrive in their communities.
Public-Private Partnerships: Engage private companies and other governmental agencies in forming publicprivate partnerships, to raise funds and deliver needed programs and services in an effective, efficient and allinclusive manner.
Government Solvency and Transparency: Deliver City services in an open, transparent, effective and efficient manner; and protect and manage City’s resources in a fiscally responsible and prudent manner.
- Efficiency & Responsiveness to Residents: Ensure that City staff responds to residents in a timely and effective manner by establishing minimum standards of service.
- Fiscally Responsible City: Develop and institutionalize sound financial management policies and practices.