Our Upcoming Events
The people of Oakland deserve a government which is accessible and responds quickly and accurately. In which we do not waste people’s time, and we welcome their involvement.
- Streamline Oakland’s permit processes, and make sure materials and payment systems are available online to reduce time involved. By saving staff time, we can devote resources to more important functions.
- End business license requirements and fees for very small businesses (e.g. income up to $25,000 per year), since the fees collected from such businesses are often less than the cost of collecting them.
- Ensure that phone calls to City of Oakland are answered and public response is effective, timely, and thoughtful. This includes in areas ranging from parking tickets to permits and more.
- More effectively use and welcome the support of volunteers and community based organizations
- Improve public records retention and search capabilities, including putting Oakland’s City documents online in a “full text searchable” format so the public can find needed materials and information.
- Over the coming years, as a large percentage of the workforce is scheduled to retire, use the opportunity to re-examine appropriate and needed job tasks due to changed circumstances, and shift job descriptions and expectations to fit our present and our future.
- Recruit the best and brightest, train talented internal staff for new opportunities, role model respectful and responsive behavior, and make it clear that this is expected of everyone.
- Use modern technology effectively to improve responsiveness to the public and reduce time wasted doing things like having staff re-enter data which was already entered into a different system.
- Provide clear assignments so that staff knows what is expected of them, and the public knows what to expect of the City.