Our Upcoming Events
Speak at an Oakland City Council Meeting
We welcome your input at City Council meetings!
Council procedures provide that anyone wishing to speak on any agenda item(s) may do so after listing the item(s) in sequence on this form and filing it with the City Clerk before the meeting begins.
A Speaker's Card must be completed for each item.
- Groups who are supporting or opposing issues before the Council are urged to select one spokesperson.
- Issues not noticed on the Agenda should be addressed under the "Open Forum" section of the Agenda. However, no action can be taken by the Council on items not noticed on the Agenda.
- When the speaker's name is called, the speaker should use the public microphone, announce his/her name, organization represented (if any) and his/her position in favor or against; then proceed with remarks.
- Speakers should limit remarks to the designated time limit as determined by the Chair.
- Speakers are cautioned that only topics specifically related to the Oakland Redevelopment Agency will be heard under Oakland Redevelopment Agency "Open Forum."
- Speaker's cards become a part of the Public Record. In accordance with the Public Records Act, any information you provide on this form is available to the public. Addresses and telephone numbers are optional information.
Protocols & Rules of Conduct ensure that the City of Oakland conducts its business and enable public participation. Click here to view the Protocols & Rules of Conduct.
Speaking at a Council Meeting
The City Council Agenda is separated by two distinct timeframes. The 5:30 p.m. portion of the agenda which generally consists of consent and ceremonial items; and the 6:30 pm portion of the agenda which are generally non-consent items.
Speaker's card(s) will be accepted by the City Clerk:
- Beginning at 12 noon on Friday for the upcoming Tuesday City Council or Committee Meeting
Speaker's card(s) must be submitted to the City Clerk:
- No later than 5:30 pm to speak on items agendized on the 5:30 portion of the agenda.
- By 8 pm and/or prior to the item being called for discussion for items scheduled for 6:30 pm and later.
- Please Note: Speaker's Cards will not be accepted after 8 pm on the day of the meeting. Generally, speakers will have at least one (1) minute to speak.
Speaking at Open Forum
- There will be a 15-minute Open Forum at the beginning of the 5:30 pm portion of the City Council meeting. If all Speakers are not heard within the 15-minute time frame, Open Forum will be continued at the end of the 6:30 pm portion of the meeting.
To speak during Open Forum:
- Submit a Speaker's Card to the City Clerk by 5:30 pm.
- Generally, speakers will have at least one (1) minute to speak.
- If everyone who submitted a speaker card is not heard within the 15-minute period, they may speak at the end of the 6:30 pm portion of the agenda.
Click here to fill out a speaker card online.