Our Upcoming Events
How Do We Register as Domestic Partners?
Fill out the domestic partnership form.
You may submit it by appointment at the City Clerk's office, or mail your notarized form to:
Office of the City Clerk
Attn: Domestic Partnership Registration
One Frank Ogawa Plaza
Oakland, CA 94612
PLEASE NOTE:You MUST schedule an appointment to register for a domestic partnership.
If you have questions not answered in the registration materials, please contact the Office of the City Clerk for more information.
We are happy to serve you, and we want to make this process simple--and affirming of your relationship!
What is Domestic Partnership?
The City of Oakland defines domestic partnership as a relationship between two cohabiting people—regardless of gender—who:
- Are unrelated by either blood or marriage
- Are over 18 years old
- Share the common necessities of life--including food, shelter, and medical expenses
- Have resided together for at least six months prior to filing an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
To register as domestic partners with the City of Oakland, both parties must live in Oakland, or one partner must work for the City.
Registering your domestic partnership is voluntary and does not automatically create any new or different legal rights or responsibilities. Registering your domestic partnership may be beneficial if you work for a company that extends health or other benefits to domestic partners. Domestic partnership registration may allow you to be recognized as your partner's family member, and may allow you to visit your partner in the hospital or in jail, under current state law.
Please note: Registering as domestic partners will not automatically entitle you to make health care decisions, funeral arrangements or to make any claim on the estate of your partner.
The State of California Domestic Partner Registry establishes certain rights for domestic partners that are not granted by the City of Oakland's Domestic Partner Registry. To learn about those rights and the State of California Domestic Partner registration process, visit the California Secretary of State web site or call (916) 659-3984.
Who May Register for Domestic Partnership?
The process of Domestic Partnership Registration is simple. You must meet the following requirements to register as domestic partners with the City of Oakland:
- You must be at least 18 years old, currently unmarried to anyone.
- You must each present a picture identification card and each partner must present proof of cohabitation by presenting a document with an address, such as a bank statement or utility bill.
- Both partners must reside together in Oakland, sharing the common necessities of life OR one partner must be employed by the City of Oakland.
- You must not be so closely related by blood as to bar marriage in the State of California, and each partner must be mentally competent to consent to the contract.
- You must agree to file a Notice of Ending a Domestic Partnership if you end your relationship and live separately for more than 90 days.