Our Upcoming Events
Join Our Team
Apply for Commissioner Vacancy by October 31, 2014
How to Become a Commission Member
The Public Ethics Commission consists of seven members — three nominated for appointment by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council, and four selected by the Commission as a whole. Commissioners receive no compensation and may serve no more than one consecutive three-year term.
To qualify to become a Public Ethics Commission member you must be a resident of Oakland and registered to vote in Oakland.
During the tenure and for one year thereafter, no member of the Commission may:
- Be employed by the City or have any direct and substantial financial interest in any work or business or official action by the City;
- Seek election to any other public office; participate in, or contribute to, an Oakland municipal campaign; or
- Endorse, support, oppose or work on behalf of any candidate or measure in an Oakland election. [Oakland Municipal Code §2.24.050]
Commission Member Duties
- Attend monthly PEC meetings and one or more committee meetings;
- Oversee compliance with the Oakland Campaign Reform Act, Oakland Sunshine Ordinance, Limited Public Financing Act, Code of Conduct for City Officials, Conflict of Interest regulations, Lobbyist Registration Act and Oakland False Endorsement In Campaign Literature Act;
- Review ethics laws and recommend amendments to the City Council; and
- Develop informational, training and public outreach programs concerning the Commission’s activities.
The Public Ethics Commission has a variety of internship opportunities available for college students, graduate students, or for community volunteers interested in serving the public. Internships are unpaid, but provide valuable exposure to Oakland City government operations and staff, along with experience in a fast-paced, innovative, and positive office environment.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume and cover letter explaining your skills and interest in our Commission’s work to Whitney Barazoto, Executive Director, Public Ethics Commission, at email@example.com, or 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), 11th floor, Oakland, CA 95612. Call (510) 238-3593 with any questions about our internship program.