Our Upcoming Events
We are now recruiting for the following position:
Closing Time: Fri. 05/27/16 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $5,522.13 - $6,780.24 Monthly; $66,265.56 - $81,362.88 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Oakland, California
Apply prior to the closing time of the job announcement and allow at least an hour to submit your application if you are a new user on the system. APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ONLINE ONLY. You may apply and view current openings by visiting our employment opportunities webpage at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/oaklandca/default.cfm
If you do not have access to a computer, there are computer stations available at any City of Oakland Public Library. There are also work stations at the Department of Human Resources Management, 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612. Work stations are available during regular business hours (normally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
Our on-line application system is provided by NeoGov. If you have problems while applying online, please contact the Help Desk at (877) 204-4442.
You may also call the City of Oakland Department of Human Resources Management at (510) 238-3112 for information.
Date Of Examination:
Tentatively, end of June 2016 / early July 2016
The City of Oakland is an EEO/ADA Employer.
The Public Ethics Commission seeks talented candidates with a passion for public service to volunteer 5-10 hours a month as a citizen board member, or to intern as part of a college, graduate or law school, or workforce entry program.
Volunteer Commissioner Opportunities
New Commissioner appointments occur every year and are generally announced in September; however, occasionally a vacancy must be filled mid-year. If you are interested in applying for a seat on our board, please express your interest in an email to email@example.com and include your contact information, and we will add you to our distribution list for recruitment announcements.
- Commissioner Vacancy Announcement & Application - None at this time
How to Become a Commission Member
The Public Ethics Commission consists of seven members as follows:
- 1 Mayoral appointee
- 1 City Auditor appointee
- 1 City Attorney appointee
- 4 appointed by the PEC through a public recruitment process
Commissioners receive no compensation and may serve no more than one consecutive three-year term.
To qualify to become a Public Ethics Commission member you must be a resident of Oakland and registered to vote in Oakland.
During the tenure and for one year thereafter, no member of the Commission may:
- Be employed by the City or have any direct and substantial financial interest in any work or business or official action by the City;
- Seek election to any other public office; participate in, or contribute to, an Oakland municipal campaign; or
- Endorse, support, oppose or work on behalf of any candidate or measure in an Oakland election. [Oakland Municipal Code §2.24.050]
- Lobby the City as a paid or registered lobbyist, or receive gifts or compensation from an Oakland lobbyist.
Commission Member Duties
- Attend monthly PEC meetings and one or more committee meetings;
- Oversee compliance with the Oakland Campaign Reform Act, Oakland Sunshine Ordinance, Limited Public Financing Act, Code of Conduct for City Officials, Conflict of Interest regulations, Lobbyist Registration Act and Oakland False Endorsement In Campaign Literature Act;
- Review ethics laws and recommend amendments to the City Council; and
- Consider enforcement matters and staff-proposed penalties for violations of the law.
The Public Ethics Commission has a variety of internship opportunities available for college students, graduate students, or for community volunteers interested in serving the public. Internships are unpaid, but provide valuable exposure to Oakland City government operations and staff, along with experience in a fast-paced, innovative, and positive office environment.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume and cover letter explaining your skills and interest in our Commission’s work to Whitney Barazoto, Executive Director, Public Ethics Commission, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza (City Hall), 1st floor, Rm. 104, Oakland, CA 94612. Call (510) 238-3593 with any questions about our internship program.
Request for Qualifications to Provide Legal Services to the Commission
Would you or your firm be interested in providing legal services to the Public Ethics Commission in coordination with our City Attorney's office? The Oakland City Attorney issued this Request for Qualifications, open and ongoing. Please submit your response according to the RFQ, also posted on the City Attorney's current job opportunities webpage.