Our Upcoming Events
This page is provided as an historical reference. Redevelopment project areas were dissolved on February 1, 2012. Please follow this link for current projects.
West Oakland Project Area
The West Oakland Redevelopment Project Area is divided into three sub-areas:
- Prescott/South Prescott
- West MacArthur/ Hoover
The major goals of the Redevelopment Plan: to improve the quality of housing, increase opportunities for home ownership, mitigate and reduce conflicts between residential and industrial uses, provide streetscape improvements, improve public safety and promote economic development.
Dissolution Date: February 1, 2012
Boundaries: Emeryville, I-980, and 18th, Pine and Wood streets
Size: 1,565 acres
PAC (yes or no): Yes
- Redevelopment Plan
- Five-Year Implementation Plan 2003-2008: Vision Document
- Environmental Impact Report
- Blight Report
- WOPAC Bylaws
- West Oakland Infrastructure Study, March 1, 2011
- West Oakland Redevelopment Strategy Chart - FY2011
- Develop and Adopt West Oakland Specific Plan
- Plan for transit-oriented development at the West Oakland BART station
- Complete second phase of Seventh Street streetscape construction
- Complete Master Plans for MLK Jr. Way and Peralta Street Streetscapes
- Continue Façade Improvement, Tenant Improvement and Neighborhood Project Initiative Programs
- Continue Graffiti Abatement Program
- Establish a Tough-on-Blight Program
- Complete West Oakland Master Street Tree Plan
- Complete construction of West Oakland Teen Center
PROJECTS (as of February 1, 2012 )
- West Oakland Transit-Oriented Development —Public and private development at and around the West Oakland BART station, guided by the West Oakland Transit Village Action Report and the West Oakland Specific Plan.
- Opportunity Sites Program -- Purchase of "7th and Campbell" sites
- West Oakland Street Tree Master Plan
- West Oakland Teen Center
Streetscape projects may include improvements such as new sidewalks, street trees, median improvements, lighting, undergrounding of utilities, gateway elements, pedestrian and bicycle access improvements, new street furniture, and traffic calming features, such as corner bulb-outs, scramble traffic signals, and crosswalks.
7th Street Phase I/II – Phase I is currently under construction and extends on 7th Street from Peralta to Union. Phase II, which is in design and extends from Wood to Peralta, includes the installation of widened sidewalks, corner bulb-outs, planted medians, reduced traffic lanes, new lighting, trees, and bicycle lanes. In addition, the project contains several art features, including a gateway element, dancing lights, and sidewalk medallions as part of a Blues Walk of Fame.
Peralta / Martin Luther King – Both streetscape projects are in their early design stages. Peralta extends from 3rd Street to I-580 and MLK extends from West Grand to 40th. The Agency is working with Gates & Associates to produce a Master Plan and a set of “Phase I” construction documents.
- Master Plan – May 2012
- MLK Jr. Way Opportunities and Constraints Report
- MLK Workshop Results
- MLK Draft Master Plan Chapter (new!)
- Peralta Street Opportunities and Constraints Report
- Peralta Workshop Results
- Peralta Draft Master Plan Chaper (new!)
COMPLETED PROJECTS (as of February 1, 2012 )
- Priority Development Area Designation
- Raimondi Park, Phase IA
- Graffiti Abatement Contract with Cypress Mandela; closed out in March 2009
- Alliance for West Oakland Development Job Training Grant
- Fitzgerald Park Community Farm (at 34th Street and Peralta)
- Neighborhood Project Initiative (NPI) Program: Community Driven Small Projects -- including Grove Shafter Dog Park; Security Camera installations; Mandela Parkway Trashcans; Upgrades to City Slicker Farms; Landscaping of West MacArthur Median, 27th Street Median and Collins Plaza (@ West Grand and Bush); and installation of speed bumps and exterior lights on Milton Street.
- 24 Facade and Tenant Improvement Projects, including People's Community Federal Credit Union, Mandela Foods Cooperative, PS Print
Several different programs are offered to help eliminate blight and stimulate development.
- Facade Improvement Program
- Tenant Improvement Program
- Neighborhood Projects Initiative (NPI) Program
Project Area Committee
MEETINGS OF THE WEST OAKLAND PROJECT AREA COMMITTEE (WOPAC)
Due to the dissoluton of the Redevelopment Agency as of February 1, 2012, WOPAC's last meeting was November 2012.
To view the past agendas and minutes of WOPAC General Meetings as PDF files, click on the links below.
|January 11, 2012||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 7, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 9, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 12, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 14, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 10, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 13, 2011||Agenda.||Minutes|
|June 8, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 11, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 13, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 9, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 9, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 12, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 10, 2010||Agenda||Minutes|