Our Upcoming Events
Telecommunications Program — License Process
If your company is interested in installing cellular equipment on City-owned property, we encourage you to contact the Real Estate Services Division. You will complete and submit an application for a telecommunications license, including a non-refundable processing fee.
For more information, see the step-by-step instructions below or contact John Monetta at (510) 238-7125 or JMonetta@oaklandnet.com
Typical Term, Rent, and Utilities agreements
Term: Initial Five Years with up to three 5-year options but not to exceed a cumulative term of 20 years
Rent: Annual Rent payments to be determined by current market conditions and leased area. Fair market rent adjustment upon exercise of extension option
Utilities, Maintenance & Taxes: At licensee's expense
Option Rent: Equal to Prevailing Fair Market
How to Obtain and Complete a Telecommunications License
- Send the Real Estate Services Division an email or contact us with your proposed location. Please provide the site Assessor's Parcel Number (APN) and any other specific location information that may be helpful along with any proposed preliminary, conceptual site plans and/or descriptions.
- Please contact the Planning & Zoning Department to learn about the permitting process necessary for telecommunications site(s) in the City of Oakland.
- Please review the attached Standard Telecommunications License Agreement. If you are proposing a telecommunications site(s) on city-owned property or equipment, you will need to enter into the attached Standard Telecommunications License Agreement.
- Real Estate Services will arrange a pre-application meeting at the site of your proposed use. The pre-application meeting provides the opportunity for you to fully discuss and describe your proposal in detail and provides an opportunity for City staff to identify any potential issues with the proposal. This may save both you and the City time and expense. Be sure to bring any information that may be useful during this session.
- Once your conceptual design is determined, bring or mail your application along with the application processing fee, to the Real Estate Services Division office. (Link to RE Homepage). The City wants to make the application process as easy as possible, so the application form requests a minimum amount of information. Incomplete information is often the reason application periods are unnecessarily prolonged.
- If your application is complete, a letter of agency may be issued so that the you may obtain Zoning or Special Use permit approvals with the City's Building Services Department.
- When your project is approved by the Zoning Administrator or Planning Commission, you will receive a Standard Telecommunications License Agreement to sign. Click on Standard Telecommunications License Agreement to view and review a copy of the Standard Telecommunications License Agreement (see note below).
Please note: the City of Oakland does not typically allow installation of telecommunications equipment in city-owned parks or recreational areas. If you or your company is interested in pursuing a location in these areas, please submit a request form. If the City of Oakland Parks & Recreation Department determines it would like to consider your location, Real Estate Services Division will arrange a meeting.