Our Upcoming Events
Oakland Army Base Project
Redevelopment of the Oakland Army Base is underway.
Located in West Oakland, the Army Base served as a U.S. Army facility until it closed in 1999. In 2000, the Oakland City Council designated the Base and surrounding properties as a Redevelopment Project Area.
The 1,800-acre Army Base Project Area was divided into three major sub-districts: 16th and Wood, Maritime, and Oakland Army Base (OARB).
The OARB was further divided into two areas: the Gateway Development Area owned by the Oakland Redevelopment Agency and the Port Development Area owned by the Port of Oakland. Following the dissolution of the Redevelopment Agency in 2012 as a consequence of ABx1 26, the Gateway Development Area was transferred to the City by deed, and the City assumed all of the environmental obligations attached to the entire former OARB sub-district, and all of the redevelopment obligations for the Gateway Development Area.
The Office of Neighborhood Investment, with the support of the Port and CCIG, has begun the first phase of developing the former Army Base. In this phase the City is delivering public improvements, which include:
- Soil stabilization
- Remediation of hazardous substances
- Construction of all new public infrastructure, including:
- Rail improvements
- Environmentally supportive bioswales and landscaping
The Office of Neighborhood Investment is also forming public-private partnerships to facilitate the best and highest use of the Gateway Development Area.
The Oakland Army Base Project will benefit the community in many ways:
- Create jobs
- Expand business opportunities and services
- Improve the visual environment
- Increase public access to and along the Oakland waterfront
- Improve efficiency of Port operations
- Require environmentally sustainable practices
Boundaries: Interstate 80, East Bay Municipal District wastewater treatment plant, Oakland Inner, Middle and Outer Harbor (Port of Oakland), Interstate 880, 7th Street
Size: 360 acres
PAC (yes or no): No—the West Oakland Community Advisory Group (WOCAG) is the official forum for public discussions about the Oakland Army Base. See below for more information on WOCAG meetings.
- Public Improvements completed by 2018.
- Private improvements completed by 2019.
- Army Base development integrated with the development of the planned Gateway Park and adjoining amenities.
- Public Improvements—Soil stabilization, environmental remediation, construction of new utilities, roadways and rail improvements.
- Ancillary Maritime Support Project—OMSS' development of a service center for truckers serving the Port.
- Gateway Park—Coordination with the Gateway Park Working Group on the planning for a new Gateway Park and adjoining amenities.
- Port Infrastructure—Coordination with the Port on its construction rail improvements.
- Disposition and Development Agreements—Negotiation of DDAs with California Waste Solutions and Custom Alloy Scrap Sales for the development of approximately 22 acres of the North Gateway Area of the Army Base.
- Community Facilities District—Establishment of a special assessment district to fund the maintenance of the Army Base's public improvements.
- Lease Disposition and Development Agreement executed with OMSS for the development of a Port-related truck service center.
- Jobs Oversight Commission established to monitor compliance with negotiated construction and operations jobs policies for the Army Base.
- Project Labor Agreement entered into by the City, building trades, AFL-CIO and local unions for the construction of Army Base public improvements.
- Disposition and Development Agreement executed with Prologis CCIG Oakland Global for the development of a trade and logistics center and break bulk facility.
- West Oakland Job Resource Center established to facilitate the training and placement of workers in construction careers.
- Cooperation Agreement entered into by the City, building trades and labor councils, local unions, and specified community-based organizations to secure the City's commitment to workforce development and the Community's support for the Army Base Project.
- Oakland Army Base Master Plan
- 2012 Oakland Army Base Project Standard Conditions of Approval and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program
- 2012 Oakland Army Base Project Initial Study / Addendum
Community Advisory Group
West Oakland Community Advisory Group (WOCAG) was formed in 1996 as the citizen advisory body for development of the former Oakland Army Base, as part of the federal community base reuse planning process. Membership is drawn from West Oakland residents, businesses and community organizations, and is set at 16 members. WOCAG is staffed by the City of Oakland and the Port of Oakland. The public is welcome to attend the group's meetings.
Meeting Day: Fourth Thursday of the month (except August and December).
Location: West Oakland Senior Center, 1724 Adeline Street
For additional WOCAG information, please contact John Monetta at email@example.com or (510) 238-7125.
Community Jobs Agreement Working Group
Community Jobs Agreement Working Group (CJAWG) is a community advisory group that will develop an overarching Community Jobs Agreement for the Army Base project, which will encompass construction and operations jobs. The Project Labor Agreement with the City for the construction phase of the Army Base project will be based upon the goals and policies of the Community Jobs Agreement. The CJAWG is recommending consideration for local hire, a jobs center, apprenticeships and disadvantaged workers.
Membership in the CJAWG is drawn from community coalitions and other Army Base project stakeholders.