Our Upcoming Events
Central City East Project Area
*This page is provided as an historical reference. Redevelopment project areas were dissolved on February 1, 2012. Please follow this link for current projects.
The Central City East Redevelopment Area contains portions of the Eastlake, Fruitvale, Central East Oakland and Elmhurst neighborhoods that make up central and eastern Oakland. The goal of the redevelopment plan is to revitalize the waterfront, commercial and residential areas by eliminating blight, improving the physical and economic environment and addressing affordable housing goals. The five-year implementation plan includes funding for eight major commercial streetscape improvement projects, Façade and Tenant Improvement programs, an Opportunity Sites Program that targets redevelopment of key parcels within transit corridors.
Streetscape projects typically include improvements such as new sidewalks, street trees, median improvements, street lighting, undergrounding of utilities, gateway/arch, pedestrian and bicycle access improvements, traffic calming features, bulb-outs, scramble traffic signals, crosswalks, and new street furniture
- MacArthur Boulevard – Undergrounding on MacArthur Boulevard, includes placing utility, cable and other resources underground. The streetscape will focus on traffic calming measures between 72nd to 82nd avenues and 106th Avenue to the San Leandro border.
- 23rd Avenue – Demolition and removal of sidewalks and asphalt paving, removal of asphalt top, new concrete sidewalks, and elongated bulb outs, curb and gutter, colored and scored concrete crosswalks, landscaping, and new street lights from East 12th Street to Foothill Boulevard and Foothill Boulevard from 23rd to 22nd avenues.
- Foothill/Fruitvale – Medians, curb bulb-outs, intersection reconfiguration, gateways, colored and scored concrete crosswalks, landscaping, sidewalk tree wells, pedestrian street lighting from Sausal Creek/Rutherford Street to 35th Avenue.
- Foothill/Seminary – Modifications to sidewalk, improved bus stop areas, street trees, pedestrian-oriented street lights, curb bulb-outs, east gateway median on Foothill from Mason Street to 60th Avenue, Seminary Avenue: Bancroft Avenue to Kingsley Circle.
- 14th Avenue – Modifications to sidewalk and landscaping, traffic calming measures, bulb-outs and affecting the street medians from 14th Avenue from East 8th Street to East 21st Street.
- East 18th Street – The East 18th Street Improvement project is from Lakeshore Avenue to Park Boulevard and along Park Boulevard from 5th Avenue to Newton Avene, and provides improved pedestrian and vehicular circulation and access. These enhancements include a new traffic signal on the corner of Newton Avenue and Park Boulevard, increased lighting, new paving, street trees and plants, improved crosswalks, sidewalk bulb outs, median landscaping and irrigation improvements.
- Fruitvale Alive – Colored and decorative concrete paving, stamped asphalt at crosswalks, pedestrian-oriented street lights, furniture, and street trees from Oakland Estuary and MacArthur Boulevard and MacArthur Boulevard: Sheffield to Lincoln Avenues.
- Foothill/High/Melrose – Medians with landscaping, colored and decorative concrete paving, stamped asphalt at crosswalks, pedestrian-oriented street lights, furniture, and street trees on Foothill Blvd from Node #1 High Street to 45th avenue and on High Street from Bancroft to Ygnacio. Node # 2 on Foothill from Congress Avenue to Cole Street, and on Fairfax from Foothill to Bancroft.
- 5th Avenue – Pedestrian-oriented street lights, furniture, and street trees from East 18th Street to Embarcadero, East 12th Street: from 2nd to 5th avenues, and International Boulevard: from 2nd to 5th avenues
Completed Projects and Area Successes
- Fremont Pool (Exterior renovation, new entryway design featuring public art tiles, exterior painting, landscaping, landscape improvements at Foothill Boulevard and 45th Avenue)
- The Orchards (Affordable housing, senior rental with 65 units of new construction at 2719 Foothill Boulevard)
- Posada de Colores housing (Affordable housing, elevator improvements for an affordable senior rental with 100 units at 2221 Fruitvale Avenue)
- Foothill Plaza Apartments (Affordable housing, family rentals with 54 units with plans for acquisition & rehabilitation at 6311 Foothill Boulevard)
- Fire Station 18 (Construction of new facility completed)
- Wallace Street Demolition (Completed slope stabilization and the demolition of unsafe properties located at 2621, 2631, and 2633 Wallace Street)
- Mills Act Property Reduction Program(Preservation incentive allows a reduction of property tax assessments for historic properties in exchange for a contract to preserve the property)
- The Fruitvale Alive Community Transportation Plan was completed in October 2005.
The former Redevelopment Agency offered several different programs to help eliminate blight and stimulate development.
Homeownership Rehabilitation Program
The Central City East Homeownership Rehabilitation Program provided loan funds for cosmetic or restorative exterior work that would enhance the property's curb appeal including improvements such as window replacements, exterior painting, landscaping, fencing, etc. The program offered a loan of up to $75,000 for eligible low to moderate income households. Interest rates vary from 0 to 6 percent, depending upon eligibility and income.
For more information about the Central City East Homeownership Rehabilitation Program, please contact the Residential Lending and Housing Rehabilitation Services unit at email@example.com or (510) 238-3909.
Project Area Committee
Meeting day: Six times a year; The first Monday of January, March, May, July, October and November
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Patten University, Student Activity Center, 2433 Coolidge Avenue
To view the agendas and minutes of Project Area Committee Meetings as a PDF file, click the hyperlinks associated with the meeting date you would like to view.
|November 7, 2011||Agenda|
|October 3, 2011||Agenda|
|September 12, 2011 **Cancelled**||N/A||N/A|
|August 1, 2011 **Summer Recess**||N/A||N/A|
|July 11, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 6, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 2, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 4, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 7, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 7, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 10, 2011||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 6, 2010||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 1, 2010||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 4, 2010||Agenda||Minutes|
For PAC Meeting Agendas and Minutes prior to the months listed above please contact Kimani Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-6204.