Our Upcoming Events
Health and Wellness
Oakland’s four major hospitals add to our city's prominence in the healthcare sector:
- Alameda County Medical Center
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
- Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland
- Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center
Kaiser Permanente, the largest managed care organization in the United States, is headquartered in Oakland.
Oakland is at the center of perhaps the world’s premier life sciences research area:
- Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute(CHORI), garners more than $40 million each year in bioscience research funding.
- Twenty research institutions throughout the Bay Area--including UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, Stanford University, and three National Laboratories--engage in leading-edge work.
- More than 300 life sciences companies in the East Bay provide a tremendous customer and supplier base.
- Tax and other business advantages include the Enterprise Zone, redevelopment areas, broadband and incubators.
- The large workforce is highly educated and highly productive —in Oakland, 37% hold a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
- A regional hub for major air cargo companies, Oakland International Airport is one of the nation’s top business commuter airports; nearby San Francisco International Airport is a major international hub.
- Quality of life is unsurpassed, with world class cultural activities, clubs, sports and the best-rated climate in the nation.
In 2009, the East Bay region was ranked fifth of states/areas receiving venture capital for medical devices. The region received $175 million.
For more information:
Aliza Gallo, email@example.com or (510) 238-7405.